Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Let's Talk Spacing (Please?)

Posted by jessicabauer84 Arkansas 8A (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 19, 13 at 19:33

Hi all! I have a tomato spacing question (as is obvious from my subject). I have one 4x12 raised bed dedicated to growing them. I am going to try Celebrities, Whoppers, Super Fantastics, and Sweet 100s. (I've grown tomatoes for three years and are all new varieties to me)

My biggest question concerns the cherry variety. I was thinking of doing two rows of five tomato plants (giving them about two feet of space all around). From what I'm reading, though, the cherries get to be big. Would two Sweet 100s fit in a 4x3 or so space or should I nix that idea and just do one there?

And while we're at it, any comments/reviews of the tomatoes my husband blindly picked out for me this year? I've always wanted to try Celebrity, but I'm not sure about the others.

Also, I hope you're having a good evening. Thanks for reading and happy planting season, y'all!

- Jessica

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Let's Talk Spacing (Please?)

You could easily fill the 4x12 bed with a single sweet 100 plant. Or cover a 30x20 area of unwanted boxwoods if you so desired (see pic).

Aside from the sweet 100, I think you'd be better off with a single row of 5 in the bed. I only do 4 in my bed that size and none are prolific hybrid types.

o

I agree that 10 plants in a 4x12 bed will be very overcrowded. That is unless you plan to prune them extensively and heavily. Not only over-crowded but competing for nutrients and water heavily, and perhaps even more prone to disease because of poor air circulation.

I'd put 6 plants, slightly staggered and offset from each other and yes, only 1 Sweet 100.

Often with tomatoes, planting less plants gets you much more fruit than if you'd planted many more plants.

If you have some 10 gallon containers put the Celebrity in them and save the garden space for the others.

Dave

o

Thanks to both of you!

Dave, you really hit the nail on the head. I planted 8 toms (all indeterminates) in about a 4x8 raised bed space last year and thought that was enough room to breathe. I did eventually have trouble with disease and overcrowding.

I'd much rather have fewer healthier plants and more fruit than the mess I was wading through last September. Plus our third baby is due mid-July and the less plants I have, the less I have to tend.

And good advice on the Celebrity, I had only read about how they were good producers, until just now when I read they were more of a determinate type. I assume they will do better in containers as they're more of a bush than a vine?

Thanks again, my plan seems to make a little more sense now.

o

My raised beds are 4 ft wide. I put 2 sweet 100 side by side at one end and 2 sungold at another end.

Yeah they grow like crazy. I use 7 ft tall CRW cages and let them drape over the sides and ends of the bed.

If you grow them like this, you will need a small ladder in the fall.

Rick

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here