Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
coatfetish_gw

id tomato? And how to save seed?

coatfetish
11 years ago

So I've been buying this tomato at the store lately, and all it says is "heirloom". I know it's bought reasonably local, and the dept manager is going to try & contact the vendor to see if they can id it. Thought I'd toss a pic on here - even though I realize so many tomatoes look the same. When I first bought it, it was $1.60 a pound. Today it was marked up to $2.88! These 4 tomatoes cost me just under $9.00, so you know that's gonna end - lol (pic has some romas for scale)

It has a fantastic flavor, so I'd like to see if I can germinate some seeds to add to my tomato selections for this year - I don't know if it's a sterile hybrid or what, but it doesn't hurt to try. What is the procedure for saving tomato seeds? Any guesses what it might be? (the ribbed ones, and no, they aren't ripe yet)

Thanks!

Comments (17)

• coatfetish
    Original Author
    11 years ago

oops! Don't know what happened to my pic, here it is;

• edweather USDA 9a, HZ 9, Sunset 28
    11 years ago

I saved tomato seeds once by the "fermenting" method. It worked well for me. I don't exactly remember the process, but I'm sure if you research it a little you'll find it.

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

No way to ID the fruit - could be any one of 50 or more ruffled varieties. But if they were labeled 'heirloom' accurately then they should be open=pollinated and not hybrids. Unfortunately the label heirloom is often mis-used.

Linked the how to save seeds FAQ below plus there are many, many discussions here about how to do it that the search will pull up.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: FAQ - How to save tomato seeds

• coatfetish
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone! I knew id-ing them was too much of a longshot, but they look so darn pretty I had to share. I must love that squat, ribbed look, because I picked a pumpkin to try growing that has the same shape - lol. They say people start to look like their pets - I hope I don't start to look like my vegetables ; )

I'll read up on the link, and look up fermenting method too - thanks a bunch!

edit to say; wonderful! The link was the fermentation method, and it sounds so very simple. I appreciate your help!

This post was edited by coatfetish on Mon, Apr 8, 13 at 23:32

• lgteacher
    11 years ago

Tomato seeds seem to be easy to germinate. I was at a tomato tasting last summer and saved a few seeds from a tomato I liked on a paper napkin. I planted them this spring and now I have a new variety of tomato for my garden.

• missingtheobvious
    11 years ago

coatfetish, I bought a tomato just like that yesterday. It was labelled "Vintage Ripes: Authentic Tomato Flavor." 12 oz.

I could still start seeds....

• carolyn137
    11 years ago

coatfetish, I bought a tomato just like that yesterday. It was labelled "Vintage Ripes: Authentic Tomato Flavor." 12 oz.
    I could still start seeds....

%%%%%%

I'm sorry but I'm sitting here laughing and asking what authentic tomato flavor is like as opposed to non-authentic tomato flavor.

And labelled Vintage Ripes?

I googled that and came up with a thread from here at GW many years ago and linked to it below.

Happy reading. ( smile)

Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: Vintage Ripe tomatoes

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

labelled "Vintage Ripes: Authentic Tomato Flavor." 12 oz.

WOW! talk about inventive marketing hype. Anything to charge the consumer more money. :)

Did it actually weigh 12 oz. or was that invented hype too?

Dave

• missingtheobvious
    11 years ago

Thanks for the link, Carolyn.

I'm well aware I'm a pushover for Italian tomatoes (all those centuries of tomato sauce expertise!!!), Latin American varieties (the ancestral home of the tomato!!!), and ribbed tomatoes (awww: they're so cute).

At one point in that thread it looked like the cute ribbed tomato sitting in my kitchen came from the Procacci Bros. (let's all hissss in chorus) but later that turned out to be someone's faulty memory. But now it's just probably a hybrid.

Well, let's hope it tastes as good as it looks.
    ===

laughing and asking what authentic tomato flavor is like as opposed to non-authentic tomato flavor

There's a store-owner here in the county who boasts that the product he sells is so great he installed the very same brand "in my own personal house."

And every time I wonder, What's an impersonal house? And, How many houses does the guy own? Does he have a personal house and an impersonal house? Any other kind of house?

• missingtheobvious
    11 years ago

And like coatfetish, I'm also a pushover for squat, ribbed pumpkins.

coatfetish, maybe we're Twins Separated At Birth....

• missingtheobvious
    11 years ago

Another addendum:

No, Dave, the "12 oz." wasn't on the label. It was courtesy of the store's scale. An even 3/4 lb.

I don't know what size the grower was aiming for. ;-)

• coatfetish
    Original Author
    11 years ago

lol - what great comments. I don't know why, but I never get email notifications when postings are made, even though I click on the proper tab for notices. I've seen the same complaint on many subforums here...

missingtheobvious, your "twins separated at birth" comment really cracked me up...we certainly have an artful eye!

I'm going to start signing my name, because these monikers are too darned long to type - lol

~ Cindy ~

• caryltoo Z7/SE PA
    11 years ago

Our grocery store sells an "heirloom" that looks like yours and actually tastes OK for a store tomato. It's called an "Ugly Ripe." Ours are 3.99 a pound, and I don't think they're good enough that I'd want to grow one. Then again, how can you tell what a store bought tomato would taste like straight off the vine rather than picked early, shipped, stored etc.

• eahamel
    11 years ago

The two that are the most deeply ribbed may be costoluto genovese, look at the pictures I linked to below. The plum shaped ones look like a Roma of some sort and the other one may be a brandywine, or may not. It's really hard to tell, unless it's something really obvious, like a striped tomato or green one, and even then, there's more than one option. I think the price in your store is great! Where I am, they are around $3.99 if not higher, and I only get them for the seed, to grow the next year. And, of course, I enjoy the tomato, too.

Here is a link that might be useful: costoluto genovese tomato

• coatfetish
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh, the roma tomatoes I'm not interested in - I only bought them because I needed ripe tomatoes for my salad - lol.

I think the other four are all the same - at least i would assume so. I turned one of the ribbed ones upside-down to show it's blossom end.

They ripen up really fast - they're mostly ripe when they hit the store anyhow. And I would NOT pay $4 a pound for tomatoes! I ate one of the tomatoes today, between lunch and dinner - and I forgot to save seeds, haha. Oh well, next one!

Interestingly, I first thought of costoluto genovese too, when I first saw them - but that was because I'd just been reading about them and thinking of getting seed off ebay. hmm...
    edit to say I just looked up pics of c. genovese, and whatever I have looks just like it, except the seed/gel cavities in mine are much, much smaller. Maybe just the strain. Love their sweet/tangy taste, so I'll be trying my own saved seeds on this one.

This post was edited by coatfetish on Tue, Apr 9, 13 at 21:21

• missingtheobvious
    11 years ago

UglyRipe (aka Ugly) is Procacci Bros. (hissss!) and is generally believed to be Marmande -- or Marmande hybridized for disease tolerances.

The shape is variable: some have the squat, ribby shape of the tomatoes in coatfetish's pic, while others are the ribby pear-shape that I call "gathered-purse" because they resemble a drawstring bag.

I bought an UglyRipe once; it was a wide gathered-pear shape and had a mild taste. The cells were semi-hollow.

- mto

• coatfetish
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I've seen Procacci Bros. mentioned before on this site, what/who is it?