Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tomatoes You'll Never Plant Again

Posted by Edymnion 7 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 28, 12 at 19:58

So far I've only really run across one tomato that I have vowed will never find space in my plots ever again, Mr. Stripey.

What a horrid tomato. Cared for the thing all season long last year, did everything I knew to keep it happy, and it produced all of 2 tomatoes. Both of which were catfaced and/or split long before they got ripe, and were half rotten when they did finally start ripening. All the while the blue tomatoes right next to it were churning out bucket fulls of black golfball sized tomatoes.

Never again.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tomatoes You'll Never Plant Again

Off the top of my head - a ditto for Mr. Stripey and its other names, and Yellow Pear for its Blechy blah! factor. Then there is Green Zebra (just too ugly for me) Clint Eastwood's Rowdy Red (small, red, round rocks) and any of the whites (no offense Carolyn).

Dave

o

UGH! Agree re. yellow pear. Also, will never again plant the Japanese Black Trifele or Violet Jasper. Also not a big fan of German Johnson. Can't stand the Costoluto but will probably grow it again because it's pretty and withstands the heat pretty well. Fine for the type of cooked salsa I make.

o

Green Zebra. The only tomato I have ever spit out, of the 200-ish varieties I have tried. Sour and bitter YUCK!
I have no idea why it is so popular.

Carla in Sac

o

I guess it isn't really fair of me to say so because none of the tomatoes I have planted in the last few years have turned out much good.
But a number of years ago, after reading so many people raving about Brandywine I tried it. I found it to be mushy and devoid of flavor. Cherokee Purple was much the same but did have a bit of tomato flavor. Not at all what I'm looking for in a tomato.

BTW, I am making a list of those tomatoes you all don't seem to like. I'm sure to find my perfect tomato there !

o

LOL good one Salthart! Have you ever tried Druzba? It has a pretty strong and good flavor to most folks. And I am not to impressed with Brandywine (pinks) myself!)

o

Lucky cross split so badly that it rotted before ripe. I will not grow that one again in this soil. If I happen to move to a place with less sandy soil I may try it again. I really don't like Dagma's perfection taste wise as a fresh slicer. To much lime flavor and not sweet. But it did can well and when mixed with red tomatoes it makes a lovely sauce. But I don't have enough room for that variety again.

o

• Posted by RpR_ 3-4 (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 29, 12 at 0:51

Yellow Pear, grew well and produced buckets full but I do not like sweet tomatoes, period.

I rarely grow any of the cherry cluster type ones as, even though some have good taste, they are a pain to deal with and too many are sweet.

If I could grow only one tomato it would be Green Zebra.

o

Ditto on the yellow pear. Two years ago I grew it and none of us liked the flavor, so last year I told my hubs not to plant it but a supposedly sweet 100 turned out to be yellow pear! ugh. So annoying when seedlings are mislabeled.

o

Yellow Pear was the worst. Next in line would be Black Cherry.

o

It seems the "winner" is yellow pear, but I know someone who grows it every year because it is a good producer and she snacks on them when she's gardening. Black Cherry was good for me the first year I grew it, but last year the skins were really tough and the tomato wasn't too flavourful. Are we dismissing these tomatoes after numerous growing attempts, or just one? From my understanding, tomatoes taste different according to growing conditions; I'm hoping so, I'm growing Japanese Black Trifele for the first time this year, now I'm worried it might be a clunker.

Nobody has mentioned Juliet tomatoes yet...

o

If there's one fact I've learned over the many years I've grown tomatoes, and about 3,000 varieties to date, it's that I may dislike a variety very much but there's always someone who loves some of the ones I would never grow again.

And I never make conclusions about a variety after growing it for just one season, especially if that variety is one that the seeds came to me as highly suggested, and especially if it was one suggested by some of my good tomato friends, some SSE members, some not.

Weather plays such a strong role in success as do amendments used and if so which ones, how much and when used, geographic location of where the varieties are being grown, and if plants are sprwled, caged, staked, and on and on.

Just too many variables that can't be controlled.

Which is why I'm not going to list my spitters. LOL

Carolyn

o

Ditto on the Mr. Stripey (though that was only after 1 year, the rotting fruit was enough to make me never want to try it again).

I do like German Johnsons and Sweet 100's ;-)

Trying Pink Brandywine again this year, never got any fruit last year with all the rain. Didn't care for Glacier last year though it was very prolific, am trying it again this year to use up the seeds. It is supposedly a very good-tasting tomato, maybe it was all the rain that made them bland.

o

I grew yellow pear for 3 years. I even have a plant ready to go (for my boyfriend's mother who loves them).

Black Triefele was a mealy, mushy mess while Black Krim did wonderfully next to it. I'm starting seeds again today, maybe I'll give her another try.

Juliet is a workhorse of a tomato - easy to grow, prolific and fine as sauce. Just a bit bland on her own. There are just so many better Romas, why grow a mediocre one?

o

Juliet, Red Lightning and Yellow Pear are 3 prominent refusenics for me.

Reggie

o

Juliet! How could I have forgotten that one!

My rejects always get at least 2 seasons of trying. Everybody gets a second chance - but not a third.

But I still maintain that anyone who likes Yellow Pear might as well eat paper and has never tasted a tomato. :)

Dave

o

Another vote for Yellow Pear and Mr. Stripey. Also Vintage Wine, an amazing looking tomato, but a real spitter.

Lew

o

I must be an "odd ball" cuz I always grow Yellow Pear tomatoes! The flavor is good enough for snacking especially in the evening for those of us watching more than our gardens grow! ;-)

o

Paste tomatoes of any kind. I've grown Opalkas (low production and bland taste), San Marzanos (BER all season) and Roma's (bland and too dry). Grew each twice just to find out if the first time was a fluke. I wanted to find a good paste tomato because I love to cook and freeze gallons of tomato sauce each summer. I've found that I prefer a mix of my favorite beefsteaks and oxhearts in sauce. I've learned to dice and salt them and let them drain before making sauce. The juice is great to drink or add to soup.

o

lol, I really like Juliet. They are very productive and produce even when temps are over 100 for months at a time. They also keep longer than any tomato I am aware of. I have found them not to be very tasty when first picked. Leave them on the counter though for 2-3 weeks and its a totally different story. Around that time they get a darker red and soften ever so slightly. Not soft at that point by any means but softer than they are at time of picking and they have far more tomato taste.

o

Green Zebra. Maybe my hopes were too high, but I was very disappointed.

o

Concur with what thisisme says about Juliet. They also dry well.

o

Black Zebra. Didn't like it at all. (BIG Zebra, on the other hand, we love; have never tried Green Zebra.) Also, Brandywine - tried that variety at least 3 different times in 3 different locations. Not worth the garden space. And Yellow Pear - not only is it tasteless and mushy, they crack really bad and the vines have NO manners whatsoever! Considering the differences of opinions, good thing there are LOTS of choices :^)

Edie

o

Gardener's Delight - just too vigorous with a million constant sideshoots
Cherokee Purple - plagued with cactiflora gene, splits like crazy
Roma - or any of the plum types - no good for the english climate
Carters Golden Sunrise - tasteless, in fact I have yet to find a really good yellow
White peach - rubbish

o

I think both Green Zebra and Yellow Pear are disgusting. However, they sell well at the farmer's market & to restaurants so I continue to grow the nasty things, lol.

o

I wouldn't plant Juliet's again. Very productive, but tough skin and bland taste. Nor would I grow Lemon Boy or Park's Whopper, which I bought from a big box store when I first started growing tomatoes and didn't know any better. Bother were productive with big, good-looking fruit, but not much taste.

However, I enjoy Green Zebra's very much. Definitely a unique (perhaps acquired) taste. When I bite into a GZ, I wonder why I enjoy them so much. But when I swallow, then I remember: For me, it's the "zing" in the aftertaste that keeps me coming back.

o

I am really shocked to discover how many people hate Green Zebra. It is actually one of the ones I plant every year because I truly love the citrusy sharp flavor of it. It's a great accent tomato and I have never stopped planting it since my first time with it years ago. Oh well...that's why there are so many varieties. I agree with the yellow pear assessment...flavorless!! I also will not grow tomatoes that are consistently low producers for me, regardless of taste. Those have included, Striped German, Mr Stripey, and....drumroll...Brandywines. Brandywines are just so finicky that I've finally given up on them. There are other fantastic tomatoes in it's class that produce far more reliably. So there it is!! LOL

o

I'm growing black cherry and trifele black this year for the first time, now I'm nervous, lol. However, I grew Brandywine's last year and I thought they were delish! :D

o

I've got a Mr. Stripey plant in the garden now. It looks good, but is waaay behind the Better Boys & German Johnsons producing only a few tomatoes at present time.

I'll not plant them again unless they make a major turn around and there ain't much time for that to happen down here...summer heat/humidity is coming fast.

o

Agree with others who said they give most tomatoes a 2nd try in case the issue was weather, etc. That said, Mr. Stripey is on my 1 last chance list...

o

I loved Juliet when I planted it, as someone said earlier, it dries beautifully. The skins are super tough though, which is why I stopped planting it.

Mr. Stripey. Blech. Did this one last year and didn't get a single tomato off the whole plant. Won't bother with it again. Had a similar problem with Better Bush the year before, but at least I got a couple tomatoes from that one. It didn't impress me flavor-wise though, so I won't be planting that one again either.

o

Tue, May 1, 12 at 23:11

This thread had piqued my interest as to how, or why, do some of you seem to get plants that produce no, or near no, tomatoes.

One problem I have never had is not getting fruit no matter what tomato I plant.

o

Spite is one that I would never grow again.

Brandywine doesn't do well for me in Oklahoma heat, but I am trying True Black Brandywine this year, and it is one of the largest tomato plants at this point and has been blooming for about a week. We shall see what it does when the hot weather hits. I am lucky if I can get 3 tomatoes from Brandywine so it isn't worth the space to me.

o

I personally have no idea why they didn't produce, I usually have pretty good luck with tomatoes and have more than enough. Last year I did make a mistake and wasn't as ruthless with volunteers as I should have been, and crowded things too much. Learned that lesson, and volunteers will be weeded this year. That wasn't the problem with the Mr. Stripey though, it was in a pretty empty area of the garden. It just didn't like my soil I guess, I do have very heavy clay, and sometimes stuff just doesn't like it. That's about all I can come up with though.

o

yellow pear is a spitter for me. I love cherry tomatoes in general but not yellow pear. Interesting to see some of the others listed here. in particular Japanese black trifle is on my top 10 list for good flavor.

o

"Posted by digdirt 6 -7 AR (My Page) on Sun, Apr 29, 12 at 9:58
But I still maintain that anyone who likes Yellow Pear might as well eat paper and has never tasted a tomato. :)
Dave"

They should have named Yellow Pear "Yellow Coldcream" 'cause that's the only item that rivals it for taste. ;-)

Am surprised at the poster who listed Black Cherry. We keep one potted right outside the kitchen door for easy access when throwing together a quick salad. Always have enjoyed its acidity.

Will and the Fur Crew in the OC

o

Yeah, dunno. My Mr. Stripey was in the same soil as my blue, virtually next to each other so they got the same conditions. The blue was an unkillable beast that put out more fruit than I could eat, Stripey was a miserly little SOB that didn't give me one edible tomato all year.

So growing the blues again, and trying a black pineapple this year as my newbie.

o

I don't do well with the true potato leafed Brandywines. They usually rot for me long before the tomato ever gets ripe.

o

Speckled Roman. Every single fruit had bad BER.

o

I was reminded of another one while at the greenhouse yesterday. Jet Star. It was a total disease magnet for me the one time I tried it. Every other tomato I had that year was either disease free or had a touch of septoria but soldiered though with no problems, but Jet Star just up and quit with the tiniest provocation. Nothing I did could save it. Won't make that mistake again.

o

Thu, May 3, 12 at 14:28

I have acquired more diseases from nurseries stock, not just in tomatoes, than I wish to remember.

I now use Serenade especially on my tomatoes and vines dipping the eniter plant in pot if possible, other wise drenching it.

o

The absolute worse hands down for me was the current tomato. Small size like a pea and bitter. Took forever to pick a half cup..wasted time! And prolific! Just hated everything about them. I'm not one to ever kill a plant but I did just a couple of days ago. I went to Nev for a short while and my husband planted 20(yes twenty!) of those horrible plants..no, I don't know what he was thinking. They all went into the compose!

o

I keep reading about Brandywine's low productivity. I have grown Brandywine Sudduth for the past three years and it was always among my top producers on a pounds per plant basis, as were other similar pink PL beefsteaks. Brandywine also was consistently my largest tomato with perfect fruits, good disease resistance, and incredible taste. Perhaps it is related to Jersey soil or my low sunshine (5 hours/day)?

TomNJ

o

Brandwine always was a very low producer for me. Few fruits and I failed to see what the big fuss was about.

o

Micro Tom Hybrid cherry tomato. Sold 10 or so at a plant sale while part of a horticulture club. All of them died two weeks later from some sort of fungus.

o

I can't believe Black cherry is on this list. I grow it every year,and think it beats sungold.
A couple I won't grow again are Early girl,and Cherokee purple. Mr Stripey is another one.

o

I can find something redeeming about most tomatoes, but Green Sausage was the nastiest, most astringent tomato ever I've ever grown. Red Lightning was also quite a spitter.

o

It was a yellow bitter tomato and the name was either Dr Wyches or Lillian.

I've also grown several blacks that tasted funky and earthy- almost like a salty mushroom flavor. I won't grow them again either, even though I LOVE mushrooms:)

o

Small Fry determinate cherry. AAS winner a few years back, Disease-resistant, tasted terrible. So did the volunteers the next year.

o

This is always such an interesting question.Many of my must haves show up here.My #1 must have is Cherokee Purple closely followed by Vintage Wine, Costoluto Genovese,Green Zebra, Tangerine, Japanese Black Trifle, etc. I would never be without Black Cherry.So if you wanted to try them don't be discouraged. When we have the occasional wet year, the flavor can be bland but I don't blame the tomato.

o

It was a yellow bitter tomato and the name was either Dr Wyches or Lillian.
Dr Wyches I have grown and found to be very good. Lillian's (Yellow Heirloom ?) I have not heretofore grewed. However for the orange de rigueur I go with Kelloggs Breakfast. Trying KBX first time this season.
And yes with prior poster, Red Lightning is a disaster regardless what may be thought of Burpee Seed Co.
Reggie

o

Roma. Healthy plants and productive, but disappointing blandness compared to other varieties intended for the canner.

o

There are raves about Opalka and Eva Purple Ball. Neither will be in my garden again. There are many great tasting striped and bi-colored, and another 'vote' for Mr. Stripey because its not one of them.

o

• Posted by suprneko 9b/sunset 16 NorCal (My Page) on
    Tue, May 8, 12 at 12:46

I said Yellow Pear earlier but then I remembered we didn't much care for Yellow Boy and Lemon Drop, either. I stay away from the yellows now...

o

For me I didn't like Tigerella and wasn't impressed with roma.

o

I just decided to check this thread and I had to laugh. So, taking Carolyn's advice this my 3rd year with Green Zebra and I can safely say, my last. If it isn't BER, then it's something else. Not productive, taste ok, but nt worth the effort. This year Im growing Mt. Stripey - never again. Brandywine, nope! Growing Japanese Black Trifele - not bad, waiting for a few more to ripen. Love Sungold, Black cherry,and I'm growing Gold Medal for the first time. They're huge and they still have a ways to go! I've heard great things, so keeping my fingers crossed. Will never grow a paste variety again. Currently growing super San marzano, what a wimpy plant!
Sharon

o
RE: Tomatoes You'll Never Plant AS MANY Again

GOLDENROD CHERRIES.....

Delicious, sweet, minimal care (except for training) because these toms are fruitful and multiplying at an amazing rate. I only planted three plants for a family of four and we can't come close to keeping them under control. A tremendous producer, so much so that I've made several batches of excellent golden sauces to prevent any of them from being wasted.

So while on my list of not planting, it's just the quantity that it's related to. An excellent variety, but don't expect them to turn red.

Be well,
elliot

o

Thanks for the tip. I love cherries!
Sharon

o

The message 2 above, refers to SUN GOLD Cherry tomatoes not Golden rod

Foolish on my part,

elliot

o

I'm definitely NOT 100% in love with Moravsky Division. I grew them this year in hopes of them being a replacement for Stupice. They weren't as early as I hoped, and definitely didn't taste as good as Stupice IMO, and they're not a true indeterminate. The skins were thick also, but that could be because of the heat. Back to Stupice next year!

o

This is a really fun thread, this is my second year of German Gold and they are horrible, absolutly no flavor and tough skins, last year my sister could not get enough of them. I am blaming the heat, if this were my first year with Black Krims it would be my last, the biggest one was smaller than a tennis ball and most are just slightly bigger than a golf ball. My Red Brandywines are going gangbusters, but they got almost wiped out by a tree limb blowing by. (it was a really really bad storm)and so much better than last year.
I have my first Mr. Stripey about to start blushing, I lucked out when the lady who runs my feed store said anything left was free for the taking, I think they will actually produce. 4 yellow Brandywines, (maybe, thought they were potato leaf, so we will see) 4 Mr. S. and some others.

o

• Posted by jolj 7b/8a-S.C.,USA (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 15, 12 at 20:11

No more Red Brandy wine for me.
But you can send me your Juliet!

o

No Brandywines of any type for me ever again. They don't set fruit. And I love my Juliet tomatoes. So it really does prove that one persons never again list is another persons favorites list. Juliet is a workhorse. Just keeps pumping out the fruit. I have no use for varities that don't produce well, no matter how wonderful a tomato tastes.

o

I agree with you newyorkrita. I am the same way. Tried Brandywine a few times and finally gave up the ghost. Just wasnt' worth the time and effort. For sure never again any of the paste type either. Never had any luck with them!

o

sharonie, have you ever tried VIVIA ITALIA? Fabilous paste (looks like a roma only bigger) type tomatoes. I would never eat a roma fresh but Vivia Itallias taste great even fresh. Great production and no blossom end rot.

o

I've had BER on my viva Italia, but they're in a new bed in straight clay so I don't hold it against them. I'm still waiting for a good, ripe fruit so I can judge the taste. I do love the Amish Paste, but as Carolyn has commented, it's too juicy to truly be a paste tomato..

o

I am very pleased wuth my Vivia Italias!

o

Haven't planted a lot of different kinds, but I'll pass on the Roma next year. It's tasteless and gets mealy pretty quick. The bush has been prolific and they will be fine for tomato sauces.

o

I have no love for Jet Star or Rutgers that I grew this year. Don't know if I will give them a second chance or not, given the number of really good tasting ones I have grown. Both healthy and productive, just not great taste. Given the number of "strains" of Brandywine and different locations I am not surprised there such variety of feelings about it. I grow Brandywine Sudduth and it is one of the tasiest, most productive and reliable tomatoes I grow, lol. But I am zone 5b-6a on the East Coast and that seems to be a place where it does grow well. But I can't say I have ever spit out a tomato that wasn't rotten, lol. Even yellow pear, although Sundgold beats it hands down for a yellow cherry type.

o

Hi Everyone,
Newyorkrita, your VivaItalias look amazing, but honestly, I'm done with the Roma types, although last year I grew a cherry Roma that was pretty good. Have to say, sun golds and black cherry are the best cherries so far, and the yellow cherries, not the pear ones. Still racing my gold medals don't get wiped out by something. Tried a hybrid, better boy, not impressed. In fact, I'm only sticking with the heirlooms for the future. Mind you, tis has been a challenging summer!
Sharon

o

Well, everyone has their own favorites and not so favorites. I do really like the Vivia Italias.

o

I am struck by how much the weather determines what works well and what doesn't in my garden. Each year I make decisions based on that season's results, and get very different results the following season. Three years ago I had a good and early yield from Rostova, but it's been a dud since then, so it's on my never again list. Goose creek did well for me last year in a very wet and moderately cool season. This year it did almost as well with 10 days in the high 90s in mid June followed by drought. My stand out for taste, yield and earliness this year is Mortgage lifted (Estler). Kosovo is a close second. Of two Omar's Lebanese, one hasn't produced a single flower and the other has produced only one tiny fruit that still isn't ripe. No second chances for that one. Earl's Faux has also been disappointing, although the three tomatoes it's produced were tasty. I should add that I grow all of them in 25-gallon containers. I've had to water at least every other day, so I've probably watered down some flavor and caused more BER than I've seen in many years.

o

No more Black Russian for me - doesn't seem to like our summers (especially this one, constant 100 f days with no rainfall for around 1 and a half months now). Other large toms i've grown (Super Marmande, Brutus and the dreaded Costoluto Genovese) also failed to impress (that been said, i'm not joining the CG hate club, it wasn't that terrible at all taste-wise, i just don't like its growing/production habits).

Tigerella, which gave me nicely flavored, standard size, somewhat heart shaped tomatoes last season, gave me a larger fruited cherry size tomatoes with poorer taste (note - same pack of seeds was used, didn't spend all last year so planted the rest this season).

Sad thing is that all those i've tasted so far were the ones that set @ the beginning of the season. I've hoped their flavor would improve as the season progresses but since the temps were that high for extended period of time, very few fruit had set since then. I also feel a gap in yield of cherries which are less "needy" then large fruited varieties in terms of temps needed to set.

Sungolds and Suncherrys are doing well, as expected, Gardener's Delight somewhat less. Tomatoberry/Gardenberry/Berry turned out nice, while Rosada is a very positive surprise for me (i'll make a thread about those 2 once i take some photos).

Cheers,
Djole

o

I haven't grown near the different varieties that lots of you have.But I don't dislike any of the tomatoes that I have grown.I have a 50% success rate, and that's not bad to me ,only growing two years.This year was a negative year for tomato production positive for learning, I tried types that I have grown before and types I have never heard of. The other year was very good ,and I grew tried and true types to me.The plants were given to me ,maybe it was because they were free,like giving someone a dog.This coming year I will try varieties I think are better suited for my zone.I will still try other varieties,and try to be more selective and find out more about the tomato than how big it can get and how wonderful it taste,someone Else's taste! Think that I'll try Lucky Cross,Burgundy Traveler,Dixewine,Mortgage Lifter Red,Florida Pink,Solar Fire,Super Fantastic,maybe Mule Team, Black Mountain Pink, and Royal Hillbilly. Start them in February from seed and not have to worry about what plants I can order or find and a lot more cost effective.I will order a few Purple Haze plants from a grower from my state that advised me on a lot of my picks above.The varieties I planted this year will be planted again though.

o

Totally fun thread:)

Black Cherry and Sungolds are our standbys...they always get planted. Last year we had our Black Cherry's taste a little 'off' from what we have been used to. We attributed it to being in a new location (we moved 3 hours north). Waiting on our first black cherry tomato this year, so it will be interesting to note if it might have been the year or our new location.

Did not plant Opalka this year. I liked working with the tomatoes for sauce, but never got alot of production off the plants. Oftentimes had BER on them too...they were touchy with it.

Since I am the one canning sauce and salsa, I love oxhearts and paste tomatoes. Esp. love the oxhearts. We love Hungarian Heart:) Are trying Orange Russian 117 this year, we have liked the Red Russian 117 in the past. We like to grow at least 1 yellow and 1 black variety to mix in with our sauces.

As for my dislikes: Japanese Black Trifele and Speckled Roman (hard thick skin). Didn't care too much for the Purple Russian either, thin skinned and seemed to get 'liquidy'.

Have a number of new varieties on the panels this year. Hopefully we have some keepers:)

o

This is my first time with JBT, so I am curious as to why people don't like it. I find it so-so in terms of flavor. It's juicy, but I can't decide if it was the summer we had or what. I would like your opinions on this one.

o

JBT- The shoulders would stay green and hard for a long time, and if we waited for them to color...the rest of the tomato was past its prime. When I was incorporating it into tomato sauce, I was wasting alot of the fruit...that really bugged me. Also, the taste wasn't anything to write home about...just asked my partner about it, and she just said 'don't remember much about it except it didn't make the cut'.

In all fairness, it was the first variety to set flowers and produce fruit for us when we grew it, so it would be a good variey for short season areas. It did also produce a fair amount of fruit. Maybe someone else will chime in with the table eating qualities (or lack of)of JBT.

-m

o

Yep, that's been my experience too. The green shoulders and the rest getting too ripe. The other issue is that there was that white core, which in all fairness, can happen with extreme heat. It is a prolific plant, but I do not think I would give it a second go. There are many other options out there. My son also was not impressed with the eating flavor the JBT. He loves Black Krim and Valencia.
Sharon

o

JBT?

I don't think I'll grow Glaciers again - they were the only ones that survived (may have been mainly due to location) last year's rainy weather, but didn't taste like much. They're better-tasting this year, but weren't any earlier than my Brandywines and Cherokee Purples. Not selling as well either - it may be lack of name recognition, or it could be just that people prefer bigger tomatoes. Bloody Butchers were supposed to be early but the first one is just starting to ripen.

o

Hi ajsmama, JBT is Japanese black triefe, a dark tomato, actually Russian origin. My first taste was so so, but they seem to be improving. They need a lot of salt.

o

• Posted by bart1 6/7 Northern VA (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 23, 12 at 9:40

<<<<< Posted by harveyhorses 7 Midlothian Va
I am blaming the heat, if this were my first year with Black Krims it would be my last, the biggest one was smaller than a tennis ball and most are just slightly bigger than a golf ball. >>>>>>>>

That's funny. I'm just a little north of you (Linden, VA) and I've been marveling at my Black Krim production this year. Things have slowed down lately, but a couple weeks ago, I was 8, 10, 12 softball sized tomatoes off the plant every week. It was crazy! It was by far my most productive plant this year.

One I'm considering not growing next year is VA Sweets. It's a fine tomato, but it's HUGE. Almost too huge to be practical. I was getting two and half pound tomatoes off of the thing!

o

I tried some new (to me) varieties this year: Orange Oxheart - total failure, have 1 tiny green one that has been like that for several weeks, nothing else coming on; Colossal Yellow - about all I can say is, yep, it's yellow - another strikeout; Black from Tula - not a high producer but what we've gotten tastes fabulous so it gets another try next year; Kosovo - not sure whether we'll plant it again, not a bad tomato but not real high on our love-the-taste list; Galina - oh, yeah, it'll get some prime real estate next year. Of my "workhorse" varieties - Estler's Mortgage Lifter, Yellow Oxheart, Big Zebra, German Red Strawberry and Big Rainbow, I think I might drop GRS. While what we get is usually pretty good, the production isn't nearly what Yellow Oxheart produces. Any recommendations for a really good red heart variety?

o

I have to give my Krims a pass, they were the one the squirrels just devistated, my sister was figuring the numbers and I probably lost 60 nice tomatoes to them, along with 6 plants. Then we got hit with the bad heat.
Just very dissapoining, but they should not have been blamed for Eccoterrorists.

o

I'm going to try Cuore di Bue. It's an Italian heirloom, of heart type and I've heard it's fabulous. I already ordered the seeds. The other one is Cuore Di Toro, a bulls heart. Also heard great things. Gypuess I'll find out next year. I'm hoping to get some seeds from Tatiana Tomatobase for a dwarf called Tasmanian Chocolate. So many choices, so little space!!!!

o

Oroma, Long Keeper (yes it keeps a long time - but why bother is my feeling.), Oregon Spring.

o

Sharonie-

Where did you purchase the Cuore di Bue and the Cuore Di Toro? We love our oxhearts and like to always try new types and seed sources.

ediej1209-

Have you tried Orange Russian 117? We are growing it this year, but the plant seems way behind all our other plants. Hoping to get a least one ripe fruit off of it before our first frost.

o

• Posted by Cdon 7a (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 24, 12 at 18:47

While the season isnt over yet, here are my yes/maybe/no lists for next year.

MUST GROW
Black Krim - #1 in taste tests with friends
Cherokee Purple #2 and my personal fave
Brandywine Sudduth #3 in taste tests and unlike some other posters here, ive had no problem with production...26 good size toms thusfar and more on the vine
Rutgers - #4 in taste tests
Big Beef - Best tasting hybrid easy & prolific
Sun Sugar - best cherry IMO. Also could have said Sungold as that one is very similar, but if I can only choose 1 its Sun Sugar by a nose.

TOMATOES I MAY TRY AGAIN - basically I will do if I have room and dont find anything new to try...
Black Cherry - Didnt like them as much as I expected to based on peoples comments here. Will need to try again to be sure next year.
Black Sea Man - I liked it alot (my top 4) and others liked it OK too, but I think I am off determinates as I dont like their "all or nothing" production.
Taxi - great color and best tasting yellow I tried by far. Yet like BSM, its a determinate.
Brandy Boy - I grew this hybrid a safeguard as I heard brandywines didnt produce well. However, this hasnt out-produced the brandywine sudduth, and the taste (while good) is inferior.
Kelloggs Breakfast - produced well, and is an impressive large tomato. Yet the taste is kinda "meh" when compared to my must grows.
Pineapple - unlike some who complain about its production, it actually did well for me (26 tomatoes & counting) - yet again, the taste is so so vs the must grows.
Mr. Stripey - I actually grew these 2 years ago and I recall really liking them. That said, it was my first year gardening, so maybe I am just comparing it to the patios I grew which were pretty bad. We'll see if I try again.
Green Zebra - I dont love or hate the taste, but the color is awesome.

TOMATOES I WILL NOT GROW AGAIN - these are clearly on the "no" list for me.
Aunt Ruby's German Green - just a bad producer for me, and in terms of flavor, its similar to the green zebra but would lose to it every time.
Black Prince. I had a buddy that raved about them, and I wondered why no one here liked them much. They produced great, and are interesting looking, but tastewise, they are very inferior to other blacks on the list.
Lemon Boy - grew it for color and another safeguard hybrid. Nothing wrong with it, but compared to everything else I tried, its not getting a 2nd chance.
Bloody Butcher - some here raved about it. I found it very early and production was great, but the taste, ugh.
Patio - just awful taste.

o

I found the two Italian heirlooms at:
http://www.heirloomtomatoes.bizland.com/varieties.htm

which is also called Tomatobob.com
I only found out it was called tomatobob after I ordered thru paypal. Thompson& Morgan have Cuore di Bue I think or Cuore di Toro. Tatiana's tomatobase has Cuore di Toro.
I placed the order with this site and am assuming they ship to Canada....
My son told me the Cuoro di Bue is fantastic. He's only eaten it, not grown it. Apparently, it's not easy to find seeds for this. This will be my first time so I can't wait till next year! I have never grown an oxheart before. Any advice?

o

We have done nothing different with our oxhearts. Since we moved 3 hours north a couple of years ago, some of the longer maturing varieties have been left behind by us. In Stevens Point, Wi we were able to push out some of the later tomatoes, now I have been trying those with maturity times of no later than 85 days. We don't prune, just trellis on the concrete mesh panels I mentioned earlier. We use Dyna-gro (1st time this year) and will continue with that into the future...it worked very well for us! In the past we only used Neptune's and was happy with it, but Dynagro has been bragged about so greatly on the container forum, that I admit I just had to try it. It has micronutrients in it, and it indeed worked for us. We do like to grow organic, but I wanted to REALLY see if our organic (neptune's) didn't quite compare up to the Dynagro for container usage. We did have better production:) So my container stuff will now see Dynagro, and we will stay organic with in ground stuff.

o

Not sure if we Dynagro in Montreal. I'm going to look for it. Anyways, I've been learning a lot about container growing in terms of soilless growing mixes. I can't push pass 85 days either, just in case the weather decides to flip on us.

o

BTW, Cuore Di bue is 70 days. That's sounds good to me!

o

Excellent!! I just came back to this thread to find your source and go look it up on the internet. I like that it is 70 days!!

I had to order the Dynagro, I couldn't find it anywhere near us. The one shop I saw it in when I was at a convention was a hydroponics store...except they had it in such a small bottle, I would have been through it in no time!!

o

Mitch from what I'm seeing there are many types. Which Dynagro are you using? I can see its used for other things besides tomatoes, lol!

o

Sorry! It is the Foliage Pro 9-3-6. I should have mentioned that long ago!! I use 1 tsp. for 2 gallons, but usually the containers are getting watered twice weekly. That ends up about 1 tsp. a week for the plants. I know others do apply more, but I have been happy with the results. Just did a count on the tomatoes and will be posting another thread asking for comparisons.

o

Just saw and responded to your post. I had to laugh when I saw what Dyna gro is recommended for!

o

I planted several varieties this season. Here's a breakdown of how I would rate them:

GREAT
-----
o Amana Orange - As the name implies, it's an orange tomato. Is about the size of a baseball. Has produced a decent amount, and the tomatoes are very flavorful and on the sweet side. This is the third season I'm planting these, and have loved them every season.
o Black Krim - Almost all have cracks on top, but once those sections are removed, the remaining tomato is delicious. Decent production.
o Sun Sugar - Fantastic and very sweet cherry tomato that ripens to a dark orange color. First of my plants to ripen.
o Pineapple - Early season tomatoes were okay, but now they are tasting great -- red/orange stripes and sweet.
o Mortgage Lifter - Not a huge yield, but tasty.
o Brandywine - Again, not a huge yield, but very tasty.

OKAY
----
o San Marzano - Some tomatoes from this plant were exceptional in flavor, most were decent.
o Green Zebra - Not very high yields, great color, and interestingly different flavor.

BAD
---
o Health Kick - Pear-shaped tomatoes which were mushy and flavorless, but a high producer.
o Roma - High producer, but flavorless.

o

Personally, rather than learn what I would plant again, mostly I learned that I would plant again but would use gopher cages on them all.

BUT, I'd say:

DEFINITELY AGAIN:
Isis Candy - Maybe a half step behind Sun Sugar et al in taste, but very vigorous plant with large attractive cherry tomatoes
Black Cherry - I really like the taste
Carmello - Actually it's not my favorite but it produces about twice as many as any other plant in my garden.
Better Boy - planted a couple of these, the fruits are smaller but they're so sweet. Actually even though I have a couple I wonder if they were mislabeled, because the online descriptions make them out to be large fruit.

NO:

Big Pink: Boring
Burpee's Tie Dye: Weak plant, small fruit, no taste.
Green Grape: Vigorous plant but sort of flavorless.
Sweet 100: Good but not great, small cherries, I'd rather try something else.

And a bunch that I'm not sure yet. In particular I found the large black tomatoes decent but nothing special (although I like how they look).

o

Well as the season goes, so does my opinion:

Not again ever:
Super San Marzano - they have not produced well nor do they have anything special taste wise.

Green Zebra - 3 or 4 years in a row and I have finally said no more! If it isn't BER, then something else attacks it. Starts out like its going to produce like crazy, then not much and frankly, the taste to me is so-so.

Super sweet 100's - I find the fruit small, taste is good but not worth it.

Maybe: Better Boy - which does have large fruit, not beefsteak large, but some are large to medium. first batch was so so, I'm starting to like them better, but they keep cracking.

Japanese Black Triefel: wasn't too impressed initially, but subsequent fruits have been really good.

Mr. Stripey or Tigerella: initally awful, but the latest ones are starting to ripen and are better.

Definitely: Sun Gold - this is such an amazing cherry!
Black Cherry, Yellow cherry that I don't have the name for.

And: Holding my breath for: Gold Medal - fruits are huge, no sign of blush yet, but can't wait!
Sharon

o

Well as the season goes, so does my opinion:

Not again ever:
Super San Marzano - they have not produced well nor do they have anything special taste wise.

Green Zebra - 3 or 4 years in a row and I have finally said no more! If it isn't BER, then something else attacks it. Starts out like its going to produce like crazy, then not much and frankly, the taste to me is so-so.

Super sweet 100's - I find the fruit small, taste is good but not worth it.

Maybe: Better Boy - which does have large fruit, not beefsteak large, but some are large to medium. first batch was so so, I'm starting to like them better, but they keep cracking.

Japanese Black Triefel: wasn't too impressed initially, but subsequent fruits have been really good.

Mr. Stripey or Tigerella: initally awful, but the latest ones are starting to ripen and are better.

Definitely: Sun Gold - this is such an amazing cherry!
Black Cherry, Yellow cherry that I don't have the name for.

And: Holding my breath for: Gold Medal - fruits are huge, no sign of blush yet, but can't wait!
Sharon

o

Green Zebra - never, ever again!

o

I'm ripping out my green zebra tomorrow!

o

Many time, impatience has folks tasting tomatoes before the prime taste is achieved in the ripening process. Let your Green Zebra tomatoes develop to the AMBER color with the green stripes and it is a very tasty fruit indeed.

Most folks who don't like the flavor of roma types are using them incorrectly. Roma and the San Marzano types really only develop their sugars when cooked. They are very bland if eaten off the vine, but really excel when heat is applied during the cooking processes.

Yellow Pear is very bland as well, but cooking doesn't seem to improve anything. My neice, however, and her coworkers are overjoyed to snack on them all day long at work. I supply them all summer long.

The only spitter I have encountered is a red cherry that was called "Hawkins" by the seed source.

Many tomatoes can be sour, sharp, bland, smoky, acidic, or sweet and all the different combinations of any or all of the above. But in the final analysis, taste is a very individual thing. Your tastebuds are arranged on your tongue differently than any other person on the planet. They are also sensitive to tastes differently than any other person on the planet. Sometimes the difference is minor between people and sometimes it is major.

When someone says they found a spitter, you can be sure that there are 100 other people who think it's great. The bottom line is that taste is subjective and exclusve to each individual.

Y'all take care.

Ted

o

Ted, you are right as I just had this conversation with my son about Green zebra. He's decided he now likes it, as he had been letting it get abit too ripe. I still don't care for them personally and won't grow them again.

o

Ted, you are right as I just had this conversation with my son about Green zebra. He's decided he now likes it, as he had been letting it get abit too ripe. I still don't care for them personally and won't grow them again.

o

Yellow Pear. Yuk.
Murhurlu. Got BER. Some catfacing. Also kinda stingy on the output. Just now ripening so have not even tasted them yet.
Chudo Rinka. Very little output.

o

Black Sea Man will never be in my garden again. Drab flavor, rots too easy, and doesn't produce well.

After trying them fresh on burgers and sandwiches I decided to mix them in with my other toms for soup instead of just pulling them.

o

• Posted by Cdon 7a (My Page) on
    Thu, Oct 18, 12 at 10:28

Ted - as someone who regards taste over most other criteria (i.e. production, appearance), your point is well founded. Others have noted too that a tomato that doesnt taste that great in June may be fantastic in August when the plant has a more mature root system.

In that regard, I probably gave up on a few varieties too early - I dont think I tried any of the other pineapples after the first one (gave them all away). I need to be more consious of that next year.

o

Yellow Currants. I could not get any of the plants past the seedling stage.

o

Black Krim & Black Prince. Both didn't produce for me. I know many people didn't like Mr Stripey & Green Zebra, but these are 2 of my favorite! Both were very productive & flavorful. Mr. Stripey is my all-time fave. I have many over 2lbs.

o

Had some beef steak that didn't produce for me,
Black Krim, Mr Stripey grew and tasted pretty fair for me,
and My wife raved about how good the flavor of Jubilee (Orange)was and it produced well also.

o

I just picked the last of my Black Sea Man a few days ago before our first killing frost.

I didn't like the taste or texture all season Cdon. They are good mixed with others for soup. I tried one batch with only BSM and it just didn't have any flavor at all.

No more BSM!

o

Orange Fleshed Purple Smudge- One of the most prolific plants in my garden this year, but sadly very blah.

o
Cherokee

I have a love/hate relationship with Cherokee. They are incredibly delicious, but they are prone to rot, and they smell awful once they develop any kind of open wound. Last season I had 20 or 25 plants, and I got behind on picking them, and ended up picking and throwing away 50 lbs or more (every tomato on every plant) on two occasions. I've learned my lesson, and this summer I am not planting more than 10. I grow about 130 plants in total.

o

Snow White Cherry.

Eat one of those and you will be looking for a Yellow Pear to cleanse your palate.

o

Wow, I kind of like Snow White. I've been surprised at all the "no" votes for Lemon Boy, too. I'm not really into hybrids, but it was definitely my 2nd favorite of the 16 tomato varieties I grew last year. First was Orange Oxheart.

I will never grow Green Sausage again. Hard as a rock, tasteless, lots of BER... I can't believe it's passed off as food.

Probably never grow Striped Roman again either, although it was beautiful and sort of ok flavor-wise. Not a big producer and really not tasty for fresh eating, with a thick skin. Probably not Green Zebra, either, although I liked it OK. Liked lots of others better. I liked White Zebra much better. I might grow Yellow Pear again if the kids get back into eating cherry tomatoes - they liked it but I didn't care for it.

I LOVED Orange Oxheart, but it didn't produce enough for me. Calls for more plants...

o

Never again: "Peach" tomato -- fuzziness and appearance was novel but most people went "ewww, that's not a tomato"; taste bland, very soft, thick skin (like a peach), not resistant to anything

Probably never again: chocolate cherry -- disappointing taste, large but many split early

o

My opinion of Chocolate Cherry probably would have been similar to Diane's if not for the end of the season, when the slowly-ripening fruits lasted into December and tasted much better than any other of the surviving cherry tomatoes. I picked it with green shoulders. The fall season was fairly dry and cool with only light frosts before mid-December. Much different from zone 3b, I expect. Chocolate Cherry did not impress me during the summer.

o

Clint Eastwoods Rowdy Red is one of the most disappointing tomatoes I've ever grown... Mr. Stripey and Rutgers would round out my top three disappointments. I've grown all three for two or more seasons, with consistently bad results.

o

The variety I'll never try again was Big Zak. If you want huge tomato trees-then big zak is for you. The plant grows over 6 feet and gave one lousy tomato about the size of a golfball. Tried changing fertilizer formulas but to no avail.

o

I'm pleasantly surprised to see Black Cherry and Brandywine so reviled. I grew both one year and thought I'd done something wrong. Got one tomato off Brandywine, what a big fat bother. I got lots of Black Cherries but hated the flavor and the skins were tough. My sausage dog seemed to thoroughly enjoy them though and harvested the bottom half of the plants all summer long then spent the winter digging them up where I'd buried the plants/fruits.

o

I tried 3 different times last season and could never get a yellow pear to get past seedling stage. The last time I even bought the seedlings.

My thoughts on Juliet - the plant would survive Armageddon. As other posters said, the plant is no beauty queen but it is a workhorse.

o

For those having trouble with production. You are doing something very wrong. I live in a HOT, HOT region. All of my plants are at least 5 feet tall. Several reach 7-8 feet.

Mr Stripey is producing lots of tender sweet tomatoes. BTW it is NOT THE SAME as Tigerella.

The Sweet 100's are not so sweet. There are better cherry tomatoes. Blondkopfhchen are much better.

"Early Girl" is not. THAT is one I will not plant again. There are Heirlooms that bear earlier. Siberian and Svetlana.

The Yellow Pears are producing fairly well now.

The production goes on despite the fact that temperatures over 85 DEG F turns off maturation.

One of my secrets is that I buried PVC with small holes drilled every foot facing down. They water the roots. Whenever I check the soil is moist an inch or so under the surface.

I have had to build super strong cages to support the weight of the tomato plants. Commercial cages or poles simply do not do the job.

o

German Head, Dinner Plate, are a joke....trying Mr. Stripey again LOL....don't know why.....Sungold and Sweet 100 are pushing the 8 foot height mark already....lets see who wins!...Dave in WV....

o

Never liked yellow pear. If you want an early heirloom, Bloody butcher is 55 days. Mine are starting to produce like crazy!

o

I actually DO like Mr Stripey, though I agree with the low production, I find the flavor to be very good.

I also like Green Zebra, but only when it is just ripening, NOT after it starts to get orangish hues.

I found Purple Calabash to be a spitter.

Yellow Pear is bland as can be. Same for Gold Nugget (though Gold Nugget might be SLIGHTLY better).

Romas or any paste tomato are flavorless to me, but then I mostly do fresh eating.

Brandywine (Pink or Sudduths) is very mediocre taste to me, and horribly unproductive. I tried it and tried it, over various years, and finally got a total of TWO tomatoes, and they just weren't good. Then I got similar results in subsequent years. Can't recommend it at all.

On the other hand, LOVE Brandywine Yellow, and Brandywine OTV (bred by Carolyn and Craig Le Houllier) and I like Brandywine Red a lot (it is NOT apparently related to the others). I find Brandywine Red to be very productive and of quite good flavor.

I like Black Krim, Black Cherry and a few other blacks to be very very good, but most of the other commonly mentioned black tomatoes just don't seem to be worth growing, to me.

I could mention a lot more, but this is a few.

o

I'm growing brandywine Sudduth, hope I won't be disappointed. It's the first time in a long time growing BW cause I never was too impressed. BK, BFT, Blk Russian, Black Pear, and Tims Black Ruffles are all new to me. Black from Tula is supposed to be delicious, I'll just wait and see. Hoping aunt Gertie's Gold and Aunt Rubys German Green are also going to produce, I'm trying Gold Nugget for the first time, I'll be interested to see if I feel the same way. Also growing Sun Sugar and Juliet and of course Black Cherry.

o

Oh and I'm growing some heart toms also , Anna Russian, orange strawberry and cuor Di Bue. All to be rated much later!!! And I never liked Green Zebra.

o

Because of horrid taste:

Tiny Tim
Silvery Fir Tree
Sub Arctic Plenty
Garden Peach

Doesn't grow well here (rots before it ripens) LOVE the taste though:

Brandywine red
Brandywine pink

o

Hey let's be nice to Mr. Stripey! For me this season, huge fruit, very productive, great flavor. But it's been a good season in the Hudson Valley for all tomatoes, and I'm growing in a brand new bed, so no diseases on any of mine.

o

We all seem to agree about Yellow Pear. I'm not even picking them.

o

Hi all, How is your garden doing ? How is your weather ?!?

I almost quickly glanced over all the posts.
There are name that I am not that familiar with, some that I have heard alot (never grown) some that have grow.

From the ones that I have grown:
--Jet Star, Juliet, Rutgers, Brandywine are on my NOT AGAIN list. Especially Brandywine. It disappointed me first time(shame on her!) I tried it again(shame on me !). Other NO, NOs are Roma and San Marzano, Viva Italian. No Italian Tomatoes for me, even if they had invented the tomato. (grin). Also forget all those with "German " and "Russian" fixes in the name. I rather grow "Fourth of July" with pride, regardless of the taste, as long as it gets RED.(smile)

---From those I have heard a Lot:
SunGold is on my "GOT TO HAVE IT" list for the next year. Mortgage lifter is another. I admire Radiato Charlie.
Bout Cherokee Purple and Mr. Stripy Jury is still out.

O. By the way , there are some other maters on my "NEVER, NO NOT FOR ME" list that I have not compiled yet and they include every and all of the BER prone ones.

o

Well you've made some broad generalizations but I agree, I won't be planting Juliet again. Hate green zebra, mr. Stripey was off my list from last year. No Roma types for me either. Still not sure about B W.

o

Oh I forgot about Green Zebra. Apparently, it shouldn't be allowed to get too yellow. It was quite productive, but I'm not growing it again.

Kellogs Breakfast wasn't worth the real estate for me so that won't be back.

Linda

o

Banana Legs has to be the grossest thing ever, followed by sicky- sweet Celebrity and gasp- Sun Golds.

o

<<<<< Posted by harveyhorses 7 Midlothian Va
I am blaming the heat, if this were my first year with Black Krims it would be my last, the biggest one was smaller than a tennis ball and most are just slightly bigger than a golf ball. >>>>>>>>
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

same here about BK. I got some fruits no bigger than 2" in diameter. Plus, slow(took 90++ days), plus cracks, plus bad color.

Brandywine failed miserably. The second chance, it had.

GREEN ZEBRA: Have never grown it. I bought some from store, tried it. It is not the best tasting but I will plant it as ornamental. Plus, when sliced into some reds, it can give a nice contrast and less vinegar dressing needed. lol

no ROMA of any kind; BER problem and not tasty at all.

This post was edited by seysonn on Tue, Nov 12, 13 at 3:01

o

My tomato report... first keepers.

Pink Brandywine: i had about 20 fruit and flavor was very nice.

SunGold: Fantastic production and flavor. It grew 5-6 feet tall and most of the way to the other end of my 10' raised bed. I am not kidding when I say that it may have produced 800+ wonderful cherry tomatoes. It receives my "best of show"!

Cherokee Purple: Keeper. Very nice flavor, but it took a while to produce (early August).

Beefmaster: Good production and taste.

Good, but may or may not grow again.
Roma: produced well and were used exclusively for canning.

Several slicing hybrids: produced well, but not my favorites.

Black Krim: flavor and production were average - good, but will not grow for a 3rd season.

Will not grow again.

Bonnie Plants - Black Cherry... it ended up being a black pear and flavor was just so-so. Just so disappointed!

I have room for 10 - 12 tomato plants. the first 3-4 in my list are keepers/repeaters and will try 6-7 different varieties, mainly heirlooms.

Tom

o

Bump:

o

Agree with everyone on the Yellow Pear, not because of the taste, but because every single one cracked. I am trying a variety called Fargo Yello Pear this year that is not supposed to crack...we'll see.

Tigerella...what a waste...all juice and seeds, all tartness and no tomato flavor...they would spurt any time I cut into one. Lesson learned.

Indigo Rose? I'm a sucker for anything blue/purple. They would all fall off the vine before anywhere near ripe and they never ripened inside...just rotted and molded.

Pink and Red Brandywine just rocked it last year...most delish and huge, along with Caspian Pink. Calf's Heart has become a new favorite for awesome flavor and so few seeds and large size, perfect for canning and sauces...what a beautiful tomato to hold in your hand so you can see the heart shape.

Amish Paste, Stupice and Siberian Red...still keepers.

Genovese Costoluto...beautiful bright red clusters on the plant, but don't keep well once picked (rotting at stem end). Very thin skins make them so you don't have to peel for sauces/canning...need to process them quickly.

Zapotec Pleated...really cool convoluted fluting shape..BUT, absolutely flavorless...as in cardboard, at least here in Southern Maine last season.

Trying many new varieties of heirlooms this season. This thread gave lots of great info.

o

Have to agree about Zapotec. Awful taste and did not hold up well. Never liked green zebra either. Never had any luck with it. Black Russian was pretty awful. Loved sun gold, aunt gerties gold, Anna Russian. Trying a myriad of new ones this year.

o

I have already said what is my ZAP list but say it again:

--- BLACK KRIM, BRANDYWINE, EARLY GIRL, SWEET 100.

BK: Not productive in my garden, late, very small fruits, cracking..nugh said !!. Substiture: Chrokee Purple

BW: just total disappointment. Didnt/couldnt pick even a single ripe tomato off of it.

EG: Not early at all, inconsistent fruit size, taste wise, nothing to write home about. I have more than 6 EARLY substitutes, all with very good reviews( Bloody Butcher, Matina, Stupice, Siletz, Early Treat, Legend, Siberian). All planted out already except STUPICE.

Sweet 100: Fruits were too tiny.
Substitute: I am growing Sungold and an unknown heirloom red
I will know by early July how they are/will be doing. I'll peep you posted.

o

Seysonn,

Unless the Sweet 100 that you planted was an imposter, I think you will find that Sungold cherry tomatoes are the same size!

I grew S.100 last year, but not this year because I am looking for something with more flavor.

Linda

o

I'm growing Sun sugar, a hybrid, instead of Sun Gold. Haven't grown S100 for a couple of years - decided to try Risentraube instead along with Jaune Flamme and Amy's Apricot. Of course Black Cherry is in there too. Keeping the fingers crossed. So far, the seedlings are doing really well.
I had good luck with BW last year. This year I'm trying the BW Yellow platfoot and OTV. Mind you, last year BW was better for me than in past years, so I decided to give it another shot this year. We'll see.
Seysonn, I wasn't growing Bloody Butcher this year even tho I told you it was a good early tomato, but I ended up sowing some seeds, so it's going back in the garden!

o

This is a newbie, no season reject. What I am never going to do is plant tomato seeds that come on ebay in "kitchen garden packs" of many vegetable seeds. I have no idea what the variety is at all. Asked seller, he replied "organic". Thanks for nothing, friend. So I have plants that are growing so slowly my teeth ache and I have no idea if that is because they are small plants overall, or I'm doing something wrong or if this is normal an I'm being impatient. No way of asking for advice because I have no idea what variety of tomato advice I need. Henceforth, no tomato seeds purchases without total pedigree or at least the "ASL" version of tomatoes - "Bush/dwarf, Determinate/Indeterminate, size, blah, blah"

I only wish I'd read growing information and realized there were so many tomatoes and that it mattered which ones I grew. Now got new seeds of cherries and Romas and etc and I give the reluctant seedlings a glare several times a day wondering whether to uproot and trash or keep my non-violent facade and find out and email that seller to prevent headaches for other unsuspecting buyers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here