Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Frost damage tomatoes

Posted by norcal_gal CA 9 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 16, 09 at 20:02

Help we had a freak snow flurry while I was at work and came home to find out about thrity of my tomato plants had black shriveled leaves. The plants are about 1 1/2 feet tall the stem of the plant looks fine but the leaves are toast.Will they make a come back or are they dead? Anything I should do to help speed recovery?

Thanks Tiffany

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Frost damage tomatoes

• Posted by anney Georgia 8 (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 16, 09 at 20:39

In many cases, the plant revives as long as the entire plant wasn't frozen. I'd leave them, leave the shriveled leaves on them and let them drop off when they've dried (not to cause any more possible wounds to the plant), don't fertilize them or stress them in any other way, and see if the plants put out new leaves. If they're going to make it, you should see new growth in a week or so.

Maters can surprise you with their resilience.

o

• Posted by jll0306 9/ Sunset 18/High De (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 17, 09 at 0:07

I hope you're right, Anney.

Norcal_gal, this Socal_gal has the same problem. During the last cold snap, I covered my plants with upside down pots and that didn't protect them at all.

A bitter wind blew all day yesterday, and I expected the temperature to drop quickly after sundown. This time I took all my pillow cases out to the garden and gently pulled one down over every plant.

Costoluto Genovese and Red Star were the only plants that made it through the night with no visible ill effects. The rest look pitiful.

What really torques me is that the predicted low for our village was 40 degrees both nights. grrrr.

jan

o

Thank You for the encouragement I hope they make. I was so exicited about all my little plants.

Tiffany

o

The same thing happened to mine about 3 weeks ago. But they are now sprouting new leaves and looking pretty good. I was also told that as long as the root didn't die the plant will be fine. Good Luck!!

o

I let my outside plantings get hit by a late frost and snowfall last season. I covered the first night and all was well, but night two got much colder than expected and I didn't bother to cover, trusting my weatherman. They did all come back and made some fruits, but very few of the toms were ready by fall.

Fortunately, the greenhouse toms all survived. I'd consider starting a few backup seeds or buying a couple plants. This early, they might recover, but it's fairly easy to cover your bets now.

-Ed

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here