Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Use of Serenade, daconil, neem or sulphur on seedlings

Posted by sharonie 5b (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 21, 14 at 20:04

Hi just wanted an opinion on what product to use to prevent fungal and insect problems for tomato plants and how early we should start. Last year I sprayed my seedling just before planting in the ground. I maintained weekly spraying and had good results. Not sure we can get daconil in canada. Any recommendations?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Use of Serenade, daconil, neem or sulphur on seedlings

The active ingredient in Daconil is Clorothalonil. Should be able to pick up something with that in it I would think. As far as bugs pyrethrin and Bt. should take care of most problems.

o

Did you see this? sourcing neem oil in Canada.

Daren

o

I have used neem oil and daconil both in the past, MOSTLY for powdery mildew.I find Neem Oil more versatile that it can be used on pests like aphids, Japanese Beetle, Flea Beetles.

I also like to know it there should be a scheduled spraying for/on tomatoes. So really I am not providing an answer here but looking for advice as well.

o

Last year, I did nothing and many of my plants were affected by Early Blight/Septoria. However, I got lots of tomatoes.

I don't know if there's any effective preventative that I could have used.

Linda

o

I am able to purchase Neem oil at a local nursery. It's quite expensive. I will probably start with Serenade. Safers also has something for pests, so I'm not sure if I should just get the neem oil to cover both pests and disease.

o

I will be using Excel LG with Actinovate and molasses as foliar spray. Have some Serenade and Neem oil from last year for couple of applications if needed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here