Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does Wire Trellis Burn Plant?

Posted by yakkwak 8A Dallas/Plano, TX (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 12, 13 at 20:14

Have a container Husky Cherry tomato. A few questions here. Just made a circular trellis out of three bamboo stakes and floral wire. Didn't think to ask first if the wire could burn the plant in the heat of summer if it happens to touch. Also, will the tomatoes have a good quality if I keep them inside some months? Any idea of the longevity of a plant if overwintered indoors? Thanks in advance for opinions.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does Wire Trellis Burn Plant?

No the wire will not burn the plants but floral wire is very fine and can cut the stems if it gets really windy and they rub against it. So try to keep the wire from direct contact with the stems.

Unfortunately a tomato plant isn't a house plant. So trying to grow a tomato plant indoors is a whole other set of issues. Can it be done? Yes with extra work and attention. They require lots of supplemental light for 12-16 hours a day from special light set ups, likely will not bloom much and if they do they must be hand pollinated to develop fruit. They will not produce the same quality of fruit as when grown in their natural environment outdoors.

Dave

o

I grow tomatoes along a metal trellis and have also used wire cages of various types. I haven't noticed any burn from hot metal, but there is sometimes some wear damage from stems making contact with the wire -- remarkably little of it, though. I'm sure the same thing is noticed by those tying vines to wooden stakes.

o

Appreciate the answers. I have a large, sunny area inside with grow lights,etc., that run up to 18 hours/day for my plants when weather is poor. I already assist with pollination of my container citrus trees. Even though the tomato plant will likely die this winter, I'm still going to try. - can't hurt.

o

I routinely grow cherry tomatoes up chicken wire trellis, in summer temperatures that are over 100F for several weeks. Never any problem. In fact, the wire intercepts very little sunlight, so it won't get any hotter than the air. The air temperature is what determines the wire temperature. Also never had any problem with the wire cutting the vines.

I believe that floral wire is of the same gauge as the lightweight chicken wire I use, so support is unlikely to be a problem. Don't try it with pumpkins, but cherries are fine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here