Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need to Stake DIY Tomato Cages

Posted by KerenR 7 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 17, 13 at 20:14

I have officially abandoned the store bought tomato cages after too much frustration and lost tomatoes. Last week I made 27 tomato cages out of reinforced concrete wire mesh, and I am super excited. I went ahead and cut off the bottom ring to be able to stick them in the ground about 6 inches.

My question is whether I need to stake these cages with something (rebar, conduit, etc). I've read on the forums what people used to stake DIY cages, but not if you need to. I didn't know if those people cut off their bottom ring or not. Thanks for the help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need to Stake DIY Tomato Cages

Yes you do. Weight and height of full grown plant and fruit plus any wind can easily lay them over.

Some use 1 heavy duty stake inside with the cage strapped to it, Others use 2 stakes of some kind on the outsides wired to the cages.

I cut the bottom ring off mine just as you did and I use 2 rebar stakes, one on either side - one with and one against the predominant winds..

Dave

o

Dave, what length of rebar do you use? I can only find 2 foot and 10 foot lengths.

o

On a farm we have lots of rebar around for all sorts of things so I suppose my stakes range between 4' and 4 1/2 feet. Some maybe a bit shorter. Need a good 6" in the ground and they need to be short enough that you can drive them in.

I suppose you could buy the 10' lengths and cut them in thirds and be ok.

But it doesn't have to be rebar. T-posts even heavy wood stakes would work. If you have a Lowes or HD or similar they carry all sorts of different fence posts.

Dave

o

I use metal electrical conduit ($3.29/10ft at the box stores) cut in half to make 2 5 ft stakes and drive 12 inches in the ground. I used to use zip ties to attach the cages, but now use short lengths of solid electrical wire. The copper wire is easy to bend and can be reused for years. Any construction site should have scraps of electrical wire.
Jim

o

My local orange store sells 18 inch pine wood stakes. 12 for $4. I routinely look in the cull bins for discounted/free wood that I can use in my garden to make A-frames or support stakes.

They won't last forever, but they're cheap enough.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here