Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cebiginalaska

Tomato Seedlings - PH, N, P, K need to worry?

cebiginalaska
10 years ago

I am new to growing anything and I just started with Tomatoes. I started my Beefsteak Tomatoes from Seeds. I have seedlings right now that have just formed Cotyledons (first leaves that start popping out) I was wondering if I should worry about the PH, N, P, K right now?

I planted my seedlings in Miracle Grow Potting Mix and the PH is around 6.5ish. Haven't tested the N, P, K value yet. My kit requires me to soak soil in water for 24 hours then test the values. The soil is drying out from the fan that I have pointed at the seedlings to help keep the temp lower 70 degrees with fan going.

Comments (15)

• edweather USDA 9a, HZ 9, Sunset 28
    10 years ago

No need to worry about fertilizing now, there's plenty in the mix anyway. Some people fertilize weakly, 1/4 strength at the most, after the first full set of leaves. No need to really test the NPK of the MG mix unless you just want to experiment. The seedlings look good, just let them grow.

• Raw_Nature
    10 years ago

A lot of people when starting out with anything, tend to over think everything.. Remember, you are only growing a plant, don't worry about the nitty gritty, the plant grows itself.. You are doing great, keep the growing medium moist like a rung out sponge.. Water thoroughly, let soil dry out, water thoroughly, let dry... Keep the fan on them.. You are doing great! Don't over think anything, that will get you in trouble... Just water the plant and watch it grow.. Only time you should really be concerned is if your plant looks sickly, which you doesn't, yours look very robust! Your doing well for just starting out! Relax, Don't over complicate anything!!

Joe

• cebiginalaska
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for your input. I am experimenting with testing the potting mix soil :) After I test it will use that soil water to water the plants. Kind of worried that I started to grow them too early :)

This post was edited by cebiginalaska on Tue, Apr 16, 13 at 20:52

• Raw_Nature
    10 years ago

Better early than to late! I got so caught up in other things, I only just started my tomatoes, didn't even start peppers! Wish I was you! And my last frost is in a month! Potting soil/ mix is expensive! Why not make your own?

Potting mix:

Peatmoss or coco coir
    Vermiculite(optional, I don't use it, to expensive)
    Lime

Potting soil:
    Peatmoss or coco coir
    Compost

It really is that simple! Do you see anyone checking the pH of the soil in the woods?

• kathyb912_in (5a/5b, Central IN)
    10 years ago

Heh, the too early thing might apply. When is your last frost date up there? And when do your nighttime lows get above 50? If that's more than 6-8 weeks from now, you might have to keep them in pots longer than you thought. :)

• cebiginalaska
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Never made compost before. My potting soil mix was 16 dollars which is pretty amazing since my seed starting mix that I bought after I planted these costs about the same but was a lot less. Last frost looks like it will be next month.

Each winter, on average, your risk of frost is from October 18 through April 19.

Almost certainly, however, you will receive frost from November 1 through April 3.

You are almost guaranteed that you will not get frost from May 4 through October 4.

Your frost-free growing season is around 182 days.

• cebiginalaska
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Don't really know about the night time lows being in 50's might be end of May or early June.

• Raw_Nature
    10 years ago

$16 bucks!!! Man, I'll be crying.. I pay 10 bucks for 3.5 cubic feet of peatmoss...

Compost is about carbon(leaves,straw)/nitrogen(grass clippings, manure)

You want roughly 90%+ carbon and 10% or less nitrogen... You want much more dry, brown, carbon matter.then green, living matter,, just a ballpark estimate.. Don't over think it! Pile up kitchen scraps(vegetables/fruits), grass clipping, leaves, manure, and other plant matter and keep it moist, like a sponge... Have a big pile, If you could.. It will start getting hot and steaming, turn occasionally.. When it's done you could use it as a soil amendment, mulch, compost tea,etc... Look up "how to compost"

Joe

This post was edited by Raw_Nature on Tue, Apr 16, 13 at 22:45

• cebiginalaska
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We don't have any usable manure, I piled up kitchen scrapes but it might not turn out well I put chicken in it along with jello and grapes and pancakes n stuff. 16 dollars is nothing living in rural Alaska :( everything here is super expensive.

• Raw_Nature
    10 years ago

Make your own! Cooked chicken meat? Don't out that stuff in, keep out the jello, pancakes, processed and cooked food.. Rake all the leaves you could, make a huge pile and add you scraps and grass... You don't need manure...

Joe

• kathyb912_in (5a/5b, Central IN)
    10 years ago

Plus having a compost pile might attract bears, right? (At least, we have that issue at our cottage in northern Michigan. They aren't real common, but have been known to get curious and/or hungry and seek them out. I can only imagine it's a bigger problem for your area.)

OK, so with frost free dates from early May to early October, you aren't all that different from my growing season. (I'm just a week or so on either side of that.) By that calculation, you're actually not too early to be starting your seeds. :)

The reason I asked about your low temps is that tomatoes generally go outside here once the lows are in the 50's. For me, that's typically mid-to-late May, so again, just a week or two ahead of you. Since I typically start tomato seeds 6-8 weeks before I want to transplant them outside, I'd say you're right on time with your seed starting. :)

• helenh
    10 years ago

I totally disagree with using peat moss as your potting mix. Potting mix making is possible but not until you've had some success growing seedlings. Read all the posts of people having trouble with their seedlings. Mostly they have a mix with lots of peat holding too much water or they have tried to add fertilizer or some magic ingredient and got it wrong. pH is important and who ever made your potting mix did test the pH so you don't have to figure out how much lime to add. I do agree with don't worry; have fun.

• Raw_Nature
    10 years ago

The majority of potting mix/seed starting mix is peatmoss,vermiculite, perlite.wetting agent, and lime..

You really cant mess that up... Add just a very minute amount of lime, you really can't go wrong.. Hey if you want to pay double triple the money for the same product, feel free.

• missingtheobvious
    10 years ago

Potting mix and seed-starting mix are not the same.

• Raw_Nature
    10 years ago

No they are not, but they have very similar ingredients. You could make both at half the price you would If you bought a bag of it

Sponsored
Prime Custom Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars43 Reviews
DC Metro's Award Winning Custom Design, Build, and Remodeling Company