Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tomato Pruning/Trimming Questions?

Posted by Swifty13 Zone 5B/Zone 6 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 12, 14 at 20:18

I dont' know if you'd say pruning for tomatoes, but I know some people say you're supposed to pinch the suckers off of the tomatoes. Last year, I tried to at the beginning, but it got to crazy and I gave up. I ended up with a mass of tomatoes. Pruning tips?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tomato Pruning/Trimming Questions?

The suckers will go on to produce fruit, so if you've got the space, leave them. If you need the space or worry about airflow due to leave density, prune. :)

o

There are currently several discussions are going on about pruning and spacing. There are pros and cons.

If you got "A MASS OF TOMATOES" because of "by not pruning", why bother with pruning. !REALLY>

o

• Posted by digdirt 6b-7a North AR (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 13, 14 at 10:10

Sounds to me like you proved to yourself last year that what" some people say" about removing the so-called suckers and losing all that fruit production should be ignored, right? I sure would. :)

Lots of tips linked below.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Pruning FAQ and discussions

o

I think it also depends on the variety of tomato. My Super Sweet 100s are sprawling and crazy productive when left to their own devices. I only pinch off the first suckers and flowers until the plants are about a foot high to ensure good root development and then I let them go to town. The same goes for my heirloom pear cherry tomatoes. But, my dad grows bigger beefsteak type tomatoes and has better yield and seeing the fruits fully mature when he prunes off the suckers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here