Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do seed companies process their tomato seed differently?

Posted by Donna.in.Sask 2b (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 6, 12 at 20:18

I'm wondering why my purchased tomato seeds look so different from the ones I saved myself. The ones I bought look very small and are a dingy grey color...totally opposite from mine, which are larger (even the cherries) and are more buff than grey. The purchased seeds are smooth and flat, whereas mine have a more "ragged" edge. Just curious, I'm sure they all germinate the same...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do seed companies process their tomato seed differently?

• Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 6, 12 at 21:35

Yes, commercial seeds can sometimes be processed differently. They take all the fuzz off of them. I'm not sure why since regular old ferment seed germinates just fine. Maybe Carolyn will see this thread and give some insight as to why.
Remy

o

Catching the ball from Remy......

It depends on which seed companites you're talking about. The smaller family run ones sometimes produce their own seed, which they usually do by fermentation, or they may subcontract out seed production or they may buy wholesale off the shelf, or a combination of those methods.

And here I'm talking about OP varieties.

Hybrid seed is produced for the US and elsewhere in several countries and that hybrid seed may be treated with TSP ( tri-sodium phosphate) or acid and that can produce seeds that are darker in color and have no fuzz and are flat.

Nothing at all wrong with those seeds but they can be smaller b'c of the treatments,etc.

TSP is often used b'c it's known that it can cleanse the seeds of TMV ( tobacco mosic virus) which can be a problem still, especially in large commercial greenhouses where it's spread mechanically, not by the usual insect vector.

Hope that helps.

Carolyn

o

That explains it perfectly. Thanks Carolyn and Remy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here