Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
do tomatoes need to pollinate?

Posted by matthew18 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 17, 10 at 20:47

I have a patio enclosure and I'm consodering growing at least one plant indoors(experiment) If I keep the plant indoors entirely will it produce fruit or do I need to put it outside to pollinate?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: do tomatoes need to pollinate?

Tomatoes do not have to have birds and bees to create fruit. But it does help to shake the plant once blooms start to appear. You only need one plant. As far as will it produce fruit (that grows to an edible stage) - that will depend on your lighting and nuits.

YMMV,

Mike

o

definately agree with Mike, I have plants outside and see no evidence of natural pollinators like bees ever. Yet I have tomatoes growing. I do gently tap the blossom stems daily mostly like a superstition and we have good breezes here. I am excited, the count is up to like 20 tomatoes going strong. My patio type tomato plant is leading the way!

o

I do gently tap the blossom stems daily mostly like a superstition

LOL, I spank mine too!

o

• Posted by bets z5A ID (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 18, 10 at 1:32

Yes, in general tomatoes do need to be pollinated, but they are "perfect" blossoms and will self-pollinate so they don't need another tomato plant or any insects to pollinate them. The stigma in inside the anther cone where the pollen is.

There are some tomatoes that do not require pollination. They are parthenocarpic and will make fruit with little or no seeds. Dr. James Baggett of OSU developed several parthenocarpic varieties that will set tomatoes in cool weather. "Legend," "Siletz," and "Oregon Spring" are three of the ones he developed.

The FAQ page has an article on preventing cross-pollenization, but it is also good information on how tomatoes are pollinated.

Bets

Here is a link that might be useful: How Do I Prevent Tomatoes from Cross-pollinating?

o

thanks all. To get max sun I will have this potted tomatoe plant outside as much as possible. I'm also hoping to extend the season as long as possible by bringing it back in(patio enclosure)during the fall. There will be plenty of ouside exposure.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here