Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
danielnc84

Leggy looking plants

Danielnc84
11 years ago

Okay I ordered some Big Zak Tomatoes on Ebay and I received a light green lacking light tall lanky plants besides planting deep what can i do to correct this issue any supplements give a low dose of fert to perk them up or what?

Comments (9)

• edweather USDA 9a, HZ 9, Sunset 28
    11 years ago

Yes, very low dose. 1/4 strength maximum.

• gumby_ct
    11 years ago

When plants get leggy they are reaching for light. It is a sign they are not getting enuff light. IF using artificial light move the plants closer to the light or visa versa. Sometimes as close as an inch or two between the light source and the plant.

Be careful when hardening these plants off.

• Danielnc84
    Original Author
    11 years ago

ill water them with a really weak solution of Calcium Nitrate and put them in the ground we are supposed to have some rain over the next two days so hopefully i dont over do it! I wont be putting my hand full of 10-10-10 inthe bottom of the whole either it will just be compost

• gumby_ct
    11 years ago

Let us know how that works. How many plants do you have?

• Danielnc84
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I got 3 leggy big zaks and 1 mystery thats a smaller mater that has been grown by an old woman for the past 30 years. a cross from many years ago... just curious as to how it will taste! They are all planted and i planted them with a very small amount of 10-10-10 and a low dose of Calcium Nitrate. I hope this causes a vigorous growth without burning them since they have not been around any sort of fert. before... I cut off most of the sets of leaves and panted the vine deep very deep only about 3 inches of the fine remains.. Lets start on that 3 or 4 lb mater this year from some ugly leggy looking zaks!

• gumby_ct
    11 years ago

You haven't mentioned if these plants have been hardened off yet? Where on this fine planet are you located?

• Danielnc84
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Piedmont of NC! no more frost to worry about they got about a day and half out in the sun in their planting pots and got watered every morning... I think they will be just fine now!

• gumby_ct
    11 years ago

Certainly it is your call.

I know when I started gardening and didn't know about hardening plants off I would buy plants from stores, plant them, then wonder why they soon died. I assumed the plants had been exposed to the sun while in the nursery,

btw - Piedmont only means something to someone from NC.

• Danielnc84
    Original Author
    11 years ago

between Charlotte and Winston Salem... These things were leggy and leaves were kinda pale greenish color they have darkened two shades. i dont think these plants have been exposed to any Ferts and were probably grown indoors with a cheap light. I cut off a set of leaves and burried it 8 inches up on the stem. they have seen sun for the 2nd day now. they are also going to get a good rain tonight.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH