Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Leggy looking plants

Posted by Danielnc84 none (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 10, 13 at 20:58

Okay I ordered some Big Zak Tomatoes on Ebay and I received a light green lacking light tall lanky plants besides planting deep what can i do to correct this issue any supplements give a low dose of fert to perk them up or what?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Leggy looking plants

Yes, very low dose. 1/4 strength maximum.

o

When plants get leggy they are reaching for light. It is a sign they are not getting enuff light. IF using artificial light move the plants closer to the light or visa versa. Sometimes as close as an inch or two between the light source and the plant.

Be careful when hardening these plants off.

o

ill water them with a really weak solution of Calcium Nitrate and put them in the ground we are supposed to have some rain over the next two days so hopefully i dont over do it! I wont be putting my hand full of 10-10-10 inthe bottom of the whole either it will just be compost

o

Let us know how that works. How many plants do you have?

o

I got 3 leggy big zaks and 1 mystery thats a smaller mater that has been grown by an old woman for the past 30 years. a cross from many years ago... just curious as to how it will taste! They are all planted and i planted them with a very small amount of 10-10-10 and a low dose of Calcium Nitrate. I hope this causes a vigorous growth without burning them since they have not been around any sort of fert. before... I cut off most of the sets of leaves and panted the vine deep very deep only about 3 inches of the fine remains.. Lets start on that 3 or 4 lb mater this year from some ugly leggy looking zaks!

o

You haven't mentioned if these plants have been hardened off yet? Where on this fine planet are you located?

o

Piedmont of NC! no more frost to worry about they got about a day and half out in the sun in their planting pots and got watered every morning... I think they will be just fine now!

o

Certainly it is your call.

I know when I started gardening and didn't know about hardening plants off I would buy plants from stores, plant them, then wonder why they soon died. I assumed the plants had been exposed to the sun while in the nursery,

btw - Piedmont only means something to someone from NC.

o

between Charlotte and Winston Salem... These things were leggy and leaves were kinda pale greenish color they have darkened two shades. i dont think these plants have been exposed to any Ferts and were probably grown indoors with a cheap light. I cut off a set of leaves and burried it 8 inches up on the stem. they have seen sun for the 2nd day now. they are also going to get a good rain tonight.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here