Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rawley_gw

What is going wrong with my tomato leaves? Bumps on leaves

rawley_gw
9 years ago

Hi,

I have a number of tomatoes who are now 6 weeks old. They are still under t8 lights 16 hrs a day and in 18oz solo cups. Just a few days ago (5), I transplanted them from the foam cups to the solo cups. I am using miracle grow potting mix and just fertilized them for the first time after transplanting. Yesterday, I noticed a number of them had wilting leaves, like when they need water, but it was just the lower leaves on the lower stems. I also noticed some leaves appear to have yellow spots when looked at from the top and when turned over, those yellow spots are little clear bumps. The plants are in a 7x10 ft room. The door is kept closed and it does get plenty warm and humid in that room with the lights going. The have been doing great until now. I have pruned a number if lower branches now due to them wilting.

Thanks!!

Comments (14)

• suvoth
    9 years ago

Could it be phosphorus deficiency? Maybe the fert you just used hasn't helped the older leaves just the new? I really don't know.

http://www.haifa-group.com/knowledge_center/crop_guides/tomato/plant_nutrition/nutrient_deficiency_symptoms/#(DFC641F4-7299-4652-9849-E4A32EA6E042)

• rawley_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks. I think it is something more severe. Could too much fertilizer cause this? Too wet? Or something with the roots from the transplant? A lot of the plants seem limp. Here is a picture of one of one.

• rawley_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And here is the backs of those leaves.

• suvoth
    9 years ago

Just curious, how did you fertilize? With water feeding or spray? What kind of fert? Maybe someone else will have some ideas

• rawley_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I used tomato fertilizer by miracle grow. Used 1/4 teaspoon in about a 1.5 liter watering can. Used that to water them in after transplanting. I am bummed, but still have some time to start more. Can't plant outside for another 4-5 weeks.

• suvoth
    9 years ago

Hmm maybe you over fertilized them. On the box of Miracle Grow I have, it's 1 tbsp per gallon. So if you used 1/4 of a tsp of Miracle Grow, it should have been at a full gallon mix which would have been at 3.79 Liters for 1/4 strength. As it stands, it sounds like you gave them 75% strength on baby seedlings. Now, someone else may differ on my opinion :) Best of luck, at least you still have time for new one's or I've heard you can over water to try to remove the ferts. But again, I would wait for someone else's opinion.

• suncitylinda
    9 years ago

Reminds me of something I saw posted elsewhere, I cant remember the name, might have sounded like Edema, or Edemia. It is from too much water/humidity.

Edited to add Look up Oedema on line and see how the pictures compare to what you are seeing.

This post was edited by suncitylinda on Sat, Apr 12, 14 at 23:15

• jean001a
    9 years ago

My thought is also edema. A physiological disorder. Not a disease. Doesn't make leaves wilt, though.

How about tipping one of the affected plants out of its container to take a look at the roots. Too wet or too dry. Or...?

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

Are you certain that the potting mix drains freely? You don't think that water is pooling towards the bottom of the soil volume? It seems like a pretty big container for a plant that size and I can't help but wonder if the roots are having to deal with soggy growing medium. That would cause wilting as roots begin to die off from rot.

I do think that an investigation of the root system and potting soil is in order, just as Jean suggested.

• claydirt
    9 years ago

Rawley, if the temperature get up to 50F or so during the day, I would start setting those outside in a protected area. Let them get a little breeze, a little sun. Start to harden them off and see if they perk up. (If you have several dozen of them to move, you may not want to...)

I'm a big fan of getting vegies outside on nice days - as soon as possible - and then moving them back inside at night. It takes a little work. But as soon as it's warm enough, they are all hardened off and ready to go. My (zone 5) tomatoes have been going out for probably two weeks now, unless the weather is bad. I just started two more for a friend and they've been out (no true leaves yet).

• monet_g
    9 years ago

In an attempt to avoid the "Jiffy Mix" seed starting mix I bought the MG Seed Starting Potting Soil. I've never had more problems with my seedlings. A few germinated so poorly (deformed) that they had to be destroyed. Not only does it hold too much water, I see now that it holds fertilizer. (My fault I should have read the fine print.) Anyway, Rawley, if this is what you're using it could be the problem.

Your plants don't look too bad and I don't think the cups are too large for seedlings their size and age. They could be in a bit of a shock from potting-up. I would put a fan on them to strengthen the stems. You might even want to stake them cuz they appear floppy. Then, be very careful of watering and fertilizing. It's better to "under" than "over".

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Do these rub off when you run your thumb over them?

Dave

• rawley_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks to everyone who took the time to help me! I ended up getting everything stabilized and they are mostly back to normal. I had a few things which all contributed to the edema issue and then a period of over watering after transplant. As I said, the big closet they are in gets pretty warm and humid due to the door being shut to keep the cats out. I had a fan on them and with the furnace running, it was keeping the room cooler and keeping the humidity down. After transplant, I did a heavy watering. For the next 5 days, I didn't run the fan and it has been warming here, so the furnace hasn't been circulating the air to keep the room cool and to remove the humidity. I think this caused the edema and the lack of water evaporation which caused the wilted leaves from the wet potting soil. After I figured this all out, they all stabilized and are looking much better. With the nicer weather, time for them to start transitioning outside. Still 4 weeks to go. Next year, I will be waiting 4 more weeks to start the seeds. They are getting too big, but I had spring fever. :)

• Ashley Kopp-Alarcon
    last year

This exact same thing happened to mine! I've been trying to figure it out! I have yellowing on my leaves. The edges dried out in some spots. Then almost like blisters. They are clearish spots and when I turn the leaf over its like a bump kind of! They are wilting and some leaves almost curl downward. My plants are 4 weeks old. I have them upstairs under the lights and it actually is very humid in here. I forsure thought I over fertalized as I accidentally used my fert at about 75% also! Im going to try watering less and we shall see. I thought it must be a virus!

Sponsored
Arete Construction Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Experienced Craftsman & Top Quality Masonry in Frederick County