Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
northernmn

Long term effect of cold on tomato seedlings

northernmn
9 years ago

We have had a very cold spring and my tomato seedlings have spent most of their time in 45 to 55 degree temps. Except for germination @ 80 degrees. The plants look very good except for a lot of purple under the leaves. The stems are stocky and the leaves are very full, but are dark green on top. When I transplanted them into 4" pots, they had great root systems as well. They have been kept within 2" of the florescent lights.

I have been giving them a weak solution of 4-12-4 so I don't think the purple is from a shortage of "K". Probably just cold and being young.

My question is: With being held at cold temps for so long, is there any long term negative effects on the plants future performance?

Comments (10)

• tomatovator21
    9 years ago

Probably not any long term effect from the cool temp other than stocky plants which is a good thing. I would get them closer to the lights however. Even with some of the taller plants touching the lights there is no problem. The purple is from the temp but could also be a sign of too much water. Just my $.02.

This post was edited by Tomatovator1 on Mon, Apr 28, 14 at 21:42

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

Only good can come from it, as far as my own experience goes. I agree that sturdy, stocky plants will be the result of cool temperatures, as long as the light is sufficient.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Plant have also intelligence. That can get acclimated to their environment. There are tomatoes that are growing from the tropics all the way up to Siberia and Alaska. JUST LIKE HUMANS.

• edweather USDA 9a, HZ 9, Sunset 28
    9 years ago

45-55 is ok. Hopefully it will warm up soon. What tomatoes are you growing in Z3/4? Years ago I was in Z4 and struggled to get a few Early Girls.

• northernmn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I've have had good luck with lots of varieties from early girls and 4th of July, to big beef, brandywine, super steak. This year I'm also trying Belgium giant, Cherokee purple, black krim, bloody butcher, early pick, Indigo rose, and a couple of others.

To get the large varieties to produce well, I've been starting them 7 or 8 weeks prior to planting in the ground. Many go in the ground from 1 gallon pots.

The planting area is covered with black plastic 2 weeks ahead of planting to help with heating the soil. Holes are cut in the plastic for the tomatoes. The black plastic stays on all summer.

I have had pretty good luck with getting large plants, lots of tomatoes, and some really big tomatoes. The tomatoes in this picture are in 5ft high cages. I'm 5'11".

• northernmn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The biggest that I got last year is the 1# 14 oz tomato on the right. the one on the left with several bites out of it weighed 1# 11 oz after the bites were taken out. Several deer managed to break through my deer fence one night. It's been really dry and I think they hit the tomatoes for the water in them.

I picked 7 tomatoes last year that were over 1.5 #s. Six of these were from Burpee's "Super Steak" seed and the other one was a "Pink Brandywine".

• BriAnDaren Ottawa, On Zone 5
    9 years ago

Cold treatment is used to get a tomato to look more stout, to bear flowers earlier and to increase yield. The long term effect is supposed to be positive.

Here is a link that might be useful: cold treatment for tomatoes

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

Seysonn....plants don't have intelligence. What they DO have is remarkable and not fully understood, but it's not intelligence in the way most of us use that word. :-)

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Seysonn....plants don't have intelligence ..
    %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

"intelligence" by conventional definition as if it just belongs to humans. But it has a UNIVERSAL meaning.The thing is that humans are the most intelligent in the animals kingdom. There is different kind of intelligence in the plants kingdom. That is why/how they survive. This subject belong to Natural Philosophy.

• edweather USDA 9a, HZ 9, Sunset 28
    9 years ago

I think plants are way smarter than people. At least they're still in The Garden :-)