Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need advice...

Posted by Thirsty_Dirt_77 3a (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 28, 14 at 21:37

My tomato plants are wilting and I'm not sure why...

Background:
- tomatoes were seeded on March 30 and were all up within a week
- they are under a grow light with a timer and get 16 hrs of light everyday
- I put a fan on them most days for at least an hr
- a week ago they were transplanted from about an 1.5" seed cell to a 4" pot
- they were always a little yellow and seemed to get better after the were transplanted
- immediately after transplanting they got a drink of diluted (30%) seaweed fertilizer
- they are in the basement were its been a little cooler than normal (60 ish) lately because its warmer outside and the furnace has run less

They seemed to be okay and then after I watered them on the weekend some of them started to wilt and have progressively gotten worse. The older leaves seem to be hit the worst and the newest growth in the middle seem to be hanging in.

is it too cold? delayed transplant injury? too much water or fertilizer? will they recover?

Any advice or input would be appreciated. Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need advice...

Potting mix looks dry.
If the mix was bone dry when you transplanted, the mix is hydrophobic -- won't absorb water.

o

It's not the temperature. Cool is good. What type of potting mix are you using? I would use a wooden skewer or dowel or something to test the moisture level in the pot. Just insert the skewer into the pot for a minute or two and remove it and see if it's damp. Damp is good dry is bad. I'd also back off on any fertilizer for now. They should recover, most of the plant still looks ok. If those bottom leaves don't recover soon, remove them.

o

Your mix looks like it is mostly peat; peat is infamous for its hydrophobic tendencies.

If you sit each pot in a saucer of water (or put water in the bottom of the tray, if you're using trays), after a while the peat will begin to take up the water. ("A while" might be 20-30 minutes?)

Keep adding water to the sauce (or tray) until the peat is thoroughly moist or the level of the water is no longer falling -- you don't want bone-dry spaces in the middle of the pot. Once all the mix is moist, drain the remaining water from the saucer/tray.

Some of the seedlings will recover; others may not.

Try not to allow the peat to dry out to this extent.

o

The wilt looks like due to thirst. In that case they should perk up after a good drink of water within a day. Some of the lower leaves might not recover. But if watering did not cure then I would suspect some kind of root rotting problem.

o

Why does everyone post sideways pics?

o

Some say it's how you orient the camera when taking the photo. Others say it's not that. Sometimes different folks say they see the same photo oriented different ways.

There's probably a special Nobel prize awaiting the person who solves the problem....

o

moisten you mix before potting. Warm water works better.

o

"moisten you mix before potting. Warm water works better"

That's good advice Ellen!

I've been boiling my water and wondering if "warm" would work as well as "boiling". It is amazing how much faster the mix will soak up water when it is warmed up. The only downside (for me) is having to wait for it to cool down before planting my seedlings!

Linda

o

It's odd to think the wilting is from being drying, especially considering it started AFTER being watered (and I always use room temperature water)

That being said, I did given them a heavy water and they aren't getting any worse, the new growth in the center is okay so hopefully they will recover. ** fingers crossed **

When they were transplanted the soil i used was moist and warm and then they were also watered after as well. They were fine after transplanting and showed no signs of shock or root damage.... tomatoes can have a mind of their own sometimes... hopefully these ones decide to stay alive!

o

Peat is not good seedling soil. You practically have to soak it in boiled water to get it wet. I've been using standard potting soil for years now with great success. Across all the flowers and veggies I started this year (somewhere up to 600), I got 98% growth to transplant size this year.

o

>> Your mix looks like it is mostly peat; peat is infamous for its hydrophobic tendencies

>> Peat is not good seedling soil.

Peat is an excellent germination (seeding) medium, even straight up. Am I right in reading that these seedlings were then transplanted into peat and not something that they could grow in without fertilizer (like dirt?)?

o

Peat is an excellent germination (seeding) medium, even straight up.

Peat as one component of a good, balanced, soil-less, seed starting mix is ok for seed starting IF it is properly wetted first. Peat straight up is not as it has all the issues detailed above.

Peat, as one component of a good balanced growing mix is also fine. Transplanting young seedlings into containers of dirt is not a wise move because of damp-off and water retention issues.

Dave.

o

They look like some of mine that got a bit of 'food shock'.
I re-potted in maybe 6 stages due to time and took some quick notes.
The first tray of mine had that slightly crooked stem. I just called it a confused 'core'.
Unbalanced potting up in a light potting mix...And fed at that moment. I think i over-fed.

(i have no idea what i'm talking about)

I stuck a note on that tray, "don't feed". (for a while, at least a week)

Second tray i potted dry plants into warm wet potting mix and bottom fed water till saturated.
I waited to feed the very dilute fish/seaweed a few days.
My best and healthiest tray so far.

My fan, across the room, runs almost all day. Set so they dance and jig a bit.

All looks good now and the early tray has recovered.

-i did lighten my potting mix that felt light at first, then compacted rock hard within a week.
I started about three weeks too soon, and now have an extra 'insurance' tray to pot up.
About half the size of the first run. Will be interesting to see it they catch up with the elders.
-I do not put in ground till June 1st or week of. Aprox have room for 60. The rest go to good adoption homes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here