Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bardamu_gw

Root size difference: black krim vs roma

bardamu_gw
10 years ago

I transplanted a stack of tomatoes today to larger pots. These were my first plantings of the year, and I way back in March I forgot to label the two varieties, thinking I'd have no problems remembering which side is which down the line.

Twelve of the seedlings were one side of the tray and the remaining thirty-siz were on the other. One type is Black Krim slicing tomato which is an heirloom type, and the other is a Roma hybrid.

I thought I'd figure out what is who when they started to develop true leaves. Yet they still looked identical from the surface up when those dark hairy leaves did show themselves.

So when I began transplanting the tomatoes, I started with the middle section which had to be Roma. To my dismay they each had wimpy roots, and I picked the best from the 36 cups. Then I moved on to the remaining 12, wondering how I would pass these plants on to friends or into my garden if I didn't know what type they were. (Tomato surprise.)

I cheered up when I gently removed the first of the last seedlings. Much to my surprise, it had a very long and noticeably vibrant little root system, at least four times the size of the best Roma. The next was the same, and pretty soon I knew these must be the minority Black Krim.

I wonder if the Roma tomatoes disliked something in their environment or if it just how they are genetically.Thoughts, anyone? Anyhow I'm impressed with the Black Krim roots no matter what..

Comments (4)