Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
forgot to label my plants

Posted by scotty66 8 Hutto TX (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 24, 12 at 21:39

I built 3 new raised beds this year and each bed holds 5 tomato plants. My plan was to have 1 bed of cherry tomatoes, 1 bed of celebrity tomatoes and the last bed was for big boy tomatoes.

Only while I was buying my plants, on a whim, I bought 1 Mr. stripey and 1 black prince (in place of 1 celebrity and 1 big boy). only I forgot to put the name tags with the plants.

1 of the odd-ball plants is putting on fruit now and the other is starting to flower.

are these going to be Mr. Stripey's or Black Prince's?
Photobucket

These last 2 picture are of my "Husky cherry tomatoes".... just throwing in these pictures because the plants are doing so dang well :)
The Celebrity and Big Boy's are just starting to flower, but the Cherry's are going off!

Photobucket

mouthwatering goodness!
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: forgot to label my plants

You are up a creek without a paddle Scotty until you get a ripe fruit. Then you'll know which is which. Right now it is pretty much 50:50. :)

We get lots of requests to ID plants and when the leaf type is the same it is nigh onto impossible to do.

Consider it a vital gardening lesson learned.

Dave

o

Wow. You've got some major fruit there. When did you put those in? Mine are all flowering like crazy, my cherry vines are 4 feet tall, and my big 'uns are about a yard high, but I haven't seen a fruit yet. I set plants out first week of March.

o

I'm fairly certain #1 is Black Prince and the others are cherries. No Mister Stripey.

o

originally i tried to grow my own seeds (started indoors in feb.) but they just get leggy and sickly...

About the second week of march I bought all my tomato plants... they were about a foot tall and I planted them about halfway into the ground. The husky cherries are now about 3' tall, but very bushy (and this is my first year to pinch off suckers because I'm not using cages).

The celebrities are only 3' tall but not so bushy. The big boys are about 4' tall as are my two "odd-balls"... The odd-ball that already has fruit (pictured above) is fairly bushy as well.

I'm really excited to try these two new (to me) tomatoes... All the tomatoes I've eaten before have been red.

o

• Posted by Cdon none (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 25, 12 at 10:05

Like grow4free, my money is on black prince in the first pic. My (limited) experience with Mr. Stripey is that it is unusual to see them cluster like that.

o

I agree with the others in the Mr. Stripey doesn't cluster like that.

o

Wow - Can't speak for the varieties but that sure is mpressive fruit for only 3 1/2 weeks into April !!

And I thought all my flowering plants were way ahead of the growing curve here in Orange county, Ca.

The good news is, you'll probably be happy w/ whatever comes to fruition ;-) Adding different color to a homegrown tomato salad always seems to get oohs and aahs from dinner guests.

Cheers -

Will and the Furry Ones in the OC

o

Since they have already been planted, what difference does it make which variety they are? Would you dig them up and move them if you knew?

o

No, it does not make any difference which plant is which.

It was just a case of curiosity and some impatience on my part. Hopefully, even I will be able to tell the difference between a fully ripe mr. stripey and a black prince.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here