Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
speckledhound

Leaves curling upward suddenly. Should I panic?!

speckledhound
11 years ago

My tomato seedlings are about 4 weeks old. I started them in my cool basement under a shoplight with a fan running over them lightly. They germinated great and have been doing very well. I potted up about a week ago to small plastic cups with good drainage holes poked in the bottom. When I transplanted, I used a mix of mediums that I had lying around--two seed starting mixes comprised of peat and vermiculite, I added some perlite and (here may be my mistake) some potting soil with slow-release fertilizer pellets. I figured that if the fertilizer was slow-release and if I was diluting the concentration my mixing with other mediums, it wouldn't be a problem for my seedlings.

Another change that recently happened after I potted up: I no longer had enough surface area under my shop light to effectively grow them without them getting leggy, and our weather warmed up significantly and it's been rather sunny and breezy. Therefore, I started moving them up and out to my patio during the day to get some natural sun and air.

The other times I've started tomatoes, this hasn't happened. I cannot remember what kind of medium I used before. This morning they looked like perfectly normal little seedlings just thinking about getting their second set of leaves. Tonight when I moved them back in, the leaves looked like these fat purply things and all curled up. Am I crazy? Or should I panic? Any advice is welcome. Thank you in advance.

Comments (8)