Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grow Light Distance Tomatos

Posted by gelatodave Zone 6 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 9, 13 at 22:06

I have a grow light with 4 T5 bulbs putting out 8,000 lumens. My plants are about four weeks old and doing great, however I am running out of space. I have always kept the light 2" above plants, but I am considering raising it higher to increase the projected area of light. Should I keep it at 2" or is it safe to raise it higher? Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grow Light Distance Tomatos

*Tomatoes

o
RE: Grow Light Distance Tomatos

I have found that with T5 bulbs, given the much greater output, you can get by with a bit more height than with the T12s or T8s. Say 4", maybe 4.5" but I wouldn't push it beyond that and if you note some nodes stretching lower it back down for a period of time.

T12s I run at 1", T8s at 2-2.5", and T5s at 4".

JME

Dave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here