Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beeman_gardener

Kumato.

beeman_gardener
10 years ago

I have just seen an ad for "Kumato a simply unique Brown Tomato" supplied by 'Sunset". No other information, where or when it's grown or when it's available.
Anyone recognise it?

Comments (5)

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Interesting: I have an answer.

Some time ago I bought some Kumato from Trader Joes. They are fine. When you cut it, the structure is similar to ROME ( 2 see pockets). So I got some seeds out of them and planted. Now they are growing under lights.
    I read here on GW before that they are sterile, have no seeds, blah, blah. Not true. They are loaded with seeds and definitely no sterile.

I do not know if they are OP or hybrids, so in a few months I will find out.

• carolyn137
    10 years ago

Link at the bottom to find about 30 threads about Kumato from here at GW, originally introduced by Syngenta in Europe, sold there first, then in the US as either Kumato or Rosso Bruno.

Some like it, some can't stand it, I'm in the latter group, and is it an F1 Hybrid or not? No clear answer and plenty of folks have saved F2 seeds and get variable results in subsequent growouts...

The original info into that Syngenta put out as to origin is absolutely hilarious as in the Galapagos Islands, but then it was traced to the origin being in Spain.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kumato

Terry's blog from 2008 when it first hit the market and contains some of the earliest info put out by Syngenta that I referrred to above.

http://tomatoaddict.blogspot.com/2008/04/kumatorosso-bruno.html

Happy reading!

Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: Kumato

• seysonn
    10 years ago

From the information given above by Carolyn, it seems more likely that the tomatoes sold under the name KUMATO comes from OP plants. All the testimonials indicate that even up to F5 seed grow and fruit without any variations. The tomatoes that I bought from Trader Joes did not mention anything about being Hybrid or Heirloom. They are sold in FANCY 4packs, not as bulk, by the pound. Thus the growers are selling them at a premium and definitely they don't want any competition from anywhere, including home gardeners.

As I said, I am growing a seedling from store bought KUMATO. so we will see how it turns out. If there is a TRADER JOES near by you, just go there and buy the tomatoes, get the seeds and grow it.

Let us keep this networking going till harvest.

KUMATO dI TOMATO ...

• beeman_gardener
    Original Author
    10 years ago

After the suggestions from Caroline I will not be going out of my way looking for seed.
    Thanks for the information.

• sandy0225
    10 years ago

I grew those years ago, they do come true from seed but they're not a really spectacular tomato anyway, so why bother. I haven't grown them in a few years now because there are so many brown tomatoes that are so much better, and a black plum has a much better flavor than kumato and a similar texture anyway.

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH