Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tomato ID - Help!

Posted by crazyoldgoose 7a (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 9, 12 at 22:29

My "not so" permanent marker came off my seedling tray tags and I can't tell my tomato seedlings apart.

I have San Marzano Redorta and Brandywine Red (reg Leaf)(#5062 from Tomato growers supply)

So I have ended up with narrow pointed leaf seedlings and wide somewhat rounded leaf seedlings. Can anyone tell me which is which?

Thanks,

Brian in Md

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tomato ID - Help!

I would expect the narrow pointy leaf to be San Marzano. I am growing it as well as Bradywine Red, Landis. I'll take a look outside tomorrow. LInda

o

I have San Marzano Redorta and Brandywine Red (reg Leaf)(#5062 from Tomato growers supply)

Please note that 5062 is one of two, the other one a PL, that are NOT true Brandywines. THe only true Red Brandywine at TGS is # 5940, the Landis one, which Linda called a strain, but it's not, it's just the place where she got the seeds, which is the Landis Museum in PA. There are no strains of Red Brandywine.

Since I've not grown either of the two wrong Brandywines, nor the San Marzano Redorta which is also RL, I can't be of help when it comes to distinguishing the RL foliage of either of them, one from the other.

For sure when they set fruits you'll see ASAP which is which, and even more so when the fruit shapes are obvious and they color up.

Carolyn

o

Carolyn, Thanks for the info. Hope fully the "not true" Brandywines will grow and taste OK. I did resow a few SM Redorta and I can at least wait to see the leaf type on those and compare to the older ones. My dilemma is that I wanted mostly San Marzanos to grow them for Sauce and just a few Branywines to try them. The San Marzano Redortas were my favorite of all the Heirlooms I tried last year for yield and for sauce making.

Thanks

Brian

o

Carolyn - When somebody says they are growing Red Brandywine from TGS I feel compelled to distinguish what I am growing by adding the word Landis. Sorry if that created confusion. I havent grown the others either so I dont know if there are leaf diffferences. I can say this about the San Marzono Redorta leafs, definately skinny and pointy with more indentations on the leaf parameter. My Brandywine, although reg leaf is a fatter leaf, with fewer indentations.

o

Thanks for the insight. I'm glad to be part of this forum!

Thanks

Brian in Md

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here