Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kterlep

Need aesthetically pleasing ideas for tomato support

kterlep
15 years ago

My garden is on the side of the house in the back yard behind a 6' vinyl privacy fence with lattice top, and is on a highway/main street in our town. It's an old victorian that has seen better days, but will see better if I can keep improving the situation.

What I had at the last house was a very large (5x13) raised bed, with 4 2x4 uprights, 2 crossbars and 2 2x4s running across the top with ropes hanging down (kindof a modified Florida weave/"rope stake" combo). The 2x4s got a little warped, and the setup was kinda slapped together and not aesthetic.

This house, we have 9 4x12 beds (2 for tomatoes, 2 for peppers and tomatillos, 5 for other stuff). I was happy with the way the ropes and the tomatoes interacted, and I'm wondering if I can make a pergola-type structure that sits on cement footings (perhaps set in forms or something) so the pergola will be stable in the wind but also moveable to another bed the next year. Obviously, I don't want the pergola to shade, but rather just be pleasing. I would like the garden to have (at least at first glance) a semblance of "formal garden" and would rather not use PVC or duct tape (not that they aren't perfectly wonderful somewhere else).

Here is a picture of the front of our house before we closed if you would like to see what I am working with (I never noticed that the trim was tomato-colored!)... I have planted flowers on both sides of the stairs the entire frontage of the house but I still have work to do on the stairs.

Did I mention that the project has to be pretty cheap? Luckily, we're fairly handy.

Thanks!

Kate

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (21)

• digdirt2
    15 years ago

How about using lattice painted white to match the fence top. Fits with the theme and 1 4'x8' lattice panel, staked X4 would do the trick to tie the plants to if planted on both sides of the panel.

Dave

• kterlep
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yeah, Dave, that is a good idea. Would I have to worry about disease if I had all the plants tied to one panel?

• digdirt2
    15 years ago

Not unless you over-plant or don't do any pruning. An 8' long panel would let you put 4 plants on each side of it with some pruning. Just stake it so that it sits 1-2' off the ground so you have 5-6' of height.

Dave

• thomis
    15 years ago

I like Dave's idear, too. Here's another.

I found this on a Mother Earth News Article. I think its a really neat idea. It folds up like a stepladder and stores away during the off season.

• jessicavanderhoff
    15 years ago

I like those ladders! A curved trellis might be in keeping with the style of your home, or if you want to be really low budget, I like a tall stake of bamboo driven into the ground, with the plant tied on. You could buy a pair of green tights and cut them up to use for ties (so they blend in). You could try stalking the farm and garden and free sections of craigslist, and see if anything exciting pops up.

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    15 years ago

All in the eye of the beholder.
    Simple, cheap and long lasting.
    My trellis.

dcarch
    {{gwi:133135}}

{{gwi:133136}}

• cleo88
    15 years ago

dcarch,
    With a little effort, we could turn your post into a haiku:

In beholder's eye -
    inexpensive, simple and
    lasts long - my trellis.

Some days I communicate via email with a programmer at work exclusively in haiku. Yeah, work can get boring.

• koicool1
    15 years ago

I think five to six foot re-bar supports would look nice. Shape the would be hoops on traditional tomato supports into squares and keep them all the same size. You could leave them the natural rust color or paint them a color to pop out or blend in. Re-bar is strong and relatively cheap. Not to mention it will last a century! This is what I am doing this year and am not disappointed.

• kterlep
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I like your trellis - I'm going to make one for the few plants that are by the house.

I think I'm still stuck on the pergola idea, just need to scale it down (I think 6x6 supports is excessive)....

• anney
    14 years ago

kterlep

Though I don't know if it would work for the ambience of your home, a cattle panel arch shown in the link below is another possibility.

Cattle panel is 16 feet long and a little more than four feet tall. It is extremely sturdy stuff, so making an arch of it would probably require two people to hold it in place while securing it to stakes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cattle Panel Arch

• mapaille_sbcglobal_net
    14 years ago

If you want something that looks pleasing than you might want to try the Tomato Ring.Check out YouTube and inter Tomato Ring, you will see a beautiful garden using the Tomato Ring on Tomatoes, peppers and also eggplant.

Here is a link that might be useful: www.veggiecage.com

• westcoastj
    14 years ago

Here's what we did... did not cost very much to build, easy to do.

{{gwi:1322265}}

• daniele_grow
    14 years ago

You could try the Spiral Stand, I like it because when the tomato plants are mature, you can barely see the stand. It is also sturdy and supports the plants very effectively.
    I love it!

Here is a link that might be useful: www.spiralstand.com

• natal
    14 years ago

Daniele, funny that the only posts I can find from you on GW are about the spiral. ;)

I see you've been hitting Cottage, Potager, and now 3 threads here.

From everything I've read the spirals are too lightweight to offer good support and you have to prune the majority of the plant.

Here is a link that might be useful: tomato staking techniques evaluation

• sfmathews
    14 years ago

Plus they are pretty expensive at $28 each plus shipping.

• star_stuff
    14 years ago

$28, plus shipping, I'll pass! Looks very flimsy, too short, and the spike is too shallow to stay anchored in the ground.

I was wondering if that was the case, natal.

• natal
    14 years ago

Wonder if Daniele is paying GW for all the advertising she's doing? I've seen a similar post on Texas and Midwest gardening.

• mustard_seeds
    14 years ago

westcoastj that is a very pretty trellis - I like how you can hang your flower baskets on the top. I use 5 foot tall round cages of wire concrete mesh - not too pretty until August when they are covered by the toms, but they are really strong!

• roselane
    14 years ago

This is not particularly cheap, but it has worked well for me in finding a pretty way to keep tomatoes off the ground. I pound about a 3 foot piece of rebar about 1 foot into the ground. Then, I fit a 1/2 inch copper pipe over it. The rebar was free to me, but the copper pipe cost $13 each. I use this as a stake to tie my plants to. I may buy some copper finials on ebay to put on top of the pipe.

• kterlep
    Original Author
    14 years ago

We actually ended up building a wider pergola than the one westcoastj did, and suspend ropes from the crossbars. We tie the tomatoes to the ropes (it's a modified Florida weave that works for us, a "stake that cannot fall over")...but ours looks very similar in style.

Thanks for posting that!

• dickiefickle
    14 years ago

Sky Hook

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County