Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eban_gw

Rocks In My Head...(and around my tomatoes).

eban
10 years ago

(Note: I tried searching for this sort of information, but I could not find anything like it.)

Hi...I have had a problem with skunks digging up my tomato plants...I have been trying to find an inexpensive/free solution and I think I have found one - but I hope I am not digging myself deeper in a hole (so to speak)...

After trying sticking sticks in the soil (which they dug around) chicken wire attached to sticks (which they managed to pull/dig out) and a slurry of coffee grounds/vegetable/fruits leavings as a mulch-like covering (hoping the smell would confuse them - it didn't), I put down rocks as a barrier. I left about a 2" - 3" radius around each stem (see image).

This seems to have succeeded in thwarting them.

My question: Could the rocks have any deleterious effect on the soil/plants? (Does the soil need air/light?) I am aware of compaction issues, so I put the rocks down gently - I know over time, the weight of the rocks may lead to some compaction, but hopefully my soil will be okay - it is riverbed-ish - somewhat rock/sandy/clay, plus my amendments...)

So far, I have not noticed anything, but it has only been about a week.

Thanks in advance for any information/tips.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz