Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is a field tomato?

Posted by engineeredgarden 7, nw Alabama (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 20, 09 at 23:25

I often hear my older friends talk about growing field tomatoes, and recall one time where one of them looked at a tomato and stated "that looks kinda like a field tomato"....Is this a generic term, or is there certain ones that are designated as field tomatoes? Just wondering....

EG

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is a field tomato?

I would guess that it's a volunteer..happens when tomatoes hit the ground then decays, then once rain and warmth returns, they start as seedlings as unknown tomatoes.

Happy Gardening.

o

Often refers to any of the market-type (red color, blemish free, round 6 oz., thicker skinned for picking/shipping, etc.) tomatoes grown by commercial growers in direct seeded, large fields - sprawled for machine harvesting and artificial ripening off the vine.

Developed varieties for commercial growers include the BHN series, Mountain series and Florida series among many others.

Dave

o

Hey, thanks! Now I understand....

EG

Here is a link that might be useful: EG's Garden blog

o

X2 what Dave said. Also, they are determinants intended for Florida weave.

o

X2 what Dave said. Also, they are determinants intended for Florida weave.

Not necessarily Timmy, for I think it's where a farmer lives and grows tomatoes that kind of determines how they grow their acres and acres of tomatoes.

In my part of upstate NY and from what I've seen of New England they all just plant in rows with no support at all, of the ones I've seen, which means much less labor as well.

Carolyn

o

we refer to field tomatoes as any tasty homegrown ones that we get to enjoy for a few months in summer before reverting back to the tasteless mushy things they sell in winter

o

My mother refers to field tomatoes as any type of tomato grown in open fields without staking, mulching, etc. They 'sprawled'. She used to pick fruit/tomatoes for summer $ when she was young ((1930s-40s). So if I had to guess, then then 'field' tomatoes are not a variety, just a method of growing. Like 'market' tomatoes are described by usage, not variety.

o

What I classified a "field tomato" is one grown outside, without plastic coverings. They can and are started under cover but matured and ripened in the field. That is the definition that I use at my market. I sell both covered and field tomatoes thru out our season. My definition would include all tomatoes, whether stakes, mulched, planted or volunteered.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here