Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
akalani

Yellowish spots on young tomato plant leaves

Ashish Kalani
10 years ago

I bought a tomato sapling a few weeks back at a nursery and planted it in a bottomless 15 gallon container. The soil in the container is fresh 50 % top soil (from a rockery) and 50 % organic fruit scrap / yard trimming compost.

The tomato plant has been developing yellow spots on all the leaves, as shown in the picture. I am not sure what might be causing it. I wouldn't assume nutritional deficiency as the compost is fresh. It got cold for a couple days in between but the weather is back in the high 70s. Could it be a pest infestation?

Please let me know. Thanks in advance.

Comments (6)

• edweather USDA 9a, HZ 9, Sunset 28
    10 years ago

Just looks like a little bit of sun scald from not hardening off properly, but it should be fine.

• christacharlene
    10 years ago

Could those spots have been made by spider mites? I have never had to deal with them personally but I watched a youtube video the other day about them and they do make little yellow dots all over the leaves, that look a lot like the ones in your photo. It said that you should take a piece of white paper and hold it under a leaf. Gently shake the leaf off over top of the paper. If little black or red dots appear, then begin moving around on the paper, then you have spider mites. The bugs are teeny tiny and if I remember correctly eat from the underside of the leaf. I could be way off on this though......

• CaraRose
    10 years ago

The black plastic you mentioned looks like 1/4" micro tubing. My system last year used it, you ran it off of a 1/2" mainline and attached your drippers or micro sprinklers to it.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Looks like early manganese deficiency to me. Smatter scattering of tiny yellow freckles on all the leaves including new growth. Progresses to interveinal chlorosis and larger spots which turn necrotic.

The soil/compost mix you used in that container - which is never recommended for a container - is very likely low in many of the minerals but high in calcium carbonate - most all rockery soils are - and that CaCo3 interferes with manganese uptake by the plant. If there are no signs of any pests then I suggest some internet research into that deficiency.

There are many different tomato nutrient deficiency websites with photos that you can compare your plant to.

The simple solution is to transplant it into the ground which is rarely manganese deficient (not sure what the purpose of that container is anyway). Or if you are going to confine it in a container then use a proper soil-less container mix, one that also contains added soil bacteria so that your compost can be of any benefit to the plant. Compost provides no nutrients without an active soil food web to digest it to a form usable by plants.

Dave

• missingtheobvious
    10 years ago

Thanks, CaraRose. Unfortunately my veggie growing area is way too far from the spigot for irrigation or even hose-watering, not to mention that I would need my own well (the current well I'm on supposedly can't handle a two-person household, a one-person household, and a garden). So I have no experience with irrigation systems except occasionally seeing a set-up here or there, or a photo of one.