Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Branch curling at top of tomato plant?

Posted by eao2012 none (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 29, 14 at 23:33

Hello all,
My tomato plants have been growing great, but now all of a sudden the new growth on each plant is exhibiting this behavior. The new growth is curling downwards to the point it begins curling under itself (some have referred to this as pigtailing?). It is not just the leafs but the entire branches and it is only on the new growth from the past week or so. Any idea what might be causing this?

FYI I am growing them in 3 gallon plastic pots and have basically been watering once or twice a week depending on the temperature outside. They have been getting about 4-5 hours of direct sun daily and have been under cover from rainfall.

Seeing as my plants look healthy, I assume it is just an environmental issue. What do you think?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Branch curling at top of tomato plant?

They look ok to me. I don't think it's anything to worry about. They do look a little leggy though, and maybe they could use a feeding. Can you give them more sun?

o

I can try. I am in an apartment and I keep the plants outside in full sun already as much as I can. I just put a slow release fertilizer in the soil last week.

A friend of mine mentioned that the plant might be outgrowing its roots. So I checked the roots and it was getting to be root bound in the 3 gallon pot it was in so I moved the plant from the 3 gallon pot into a 5 gallon bucket so maybe that will help also? I guess I should tell a difference in a few days if that was the problem.

o

Here's a good picture of what the branch curling looks like. Any more ideas of why it might be doing this?

o

That is totally normal.

o

I agree with edweather, totally normal. Wouldn't worry about it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here