Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tomato seedlings have strange black specks...

Posted by nitram0606 8a (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 1, 12 at 23:41

Hi everyone,

I am really bummed. I thought everything was going well, my little guys looked healthy and then suddenly they took a turn for the worse, and these specks started showing up a couple days ago. They look mostly healthy otherwise so what could be going on. Any help at all is GREATLY appreciated!

tomato disease, what is it

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tomato seedlings have strange black specks...

It sure looks like Spider Mites to me- Look at the underside of the leaves and I bet you will see tiny crawling specks.

o

Does seeing spider mites require some sort of magnification? from my careful inspection I can't see anything movie, but I may just not be able to see them.

Anyone else have a suggestion if it is not mites?

o

Mites are one of the smallest pests out there. Usually best to use one of those 20x or 30x magnifiers to see them really well. Another clue is that they prefer low humidity, and dry soil. If your humidity is high, it's likely something else.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here