Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kevinitis

What do you know about bosque blue tomato?

kevinitis
12 years ago

Does anyone know anything about Bosque Blue tomato?

Comments (5)

• carolyn137
    12 years ago

What I know about it is that it was bred by Lee Goodwin of J and L gardens, link below, and I know several who will be growing it this summer, but since it's new, there's no feedback right now.

Lee and quite a few others are breeding some so called blue tomatoes, probably using OSU Blue P 20, trying to get some taste into these.

Dr. Myers at Oregon State recently released Indigo Rose, seeds available at several seed sites, he's the one who developed OSU Blue, so we shall see if Indigo Rose has some taste to it.

Hope that helps.

Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: J and L seeds

• kevinitis
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I got some in a seed trade yesterday as a surprise. My guess is that bosque blue decends from the OSU Blue P20. I'll give it a whirl this season too. My tomato growing goals weigh taste heavily. We'll see how these go. I'm trying to imagine purple/blue tomato sauce, blue tomatoes on a sandwich, blue tomato soup....Hard to visualize, but fun to grow.

• carolyn137
    12 years ago

As I said in my post above Lee probably did use P20 and there are many many others working with P20 as well.

And other so called blue varieties are the one developed in the UK and another one developed in Italy and seeds for those are not yet available.

You aren't going to get blue anything since the anthocyanins are in the skin only, so as one person said...I peel my tomatoes anyway, so no dietary anthocyanin for me. LOL

Carolyn

• kevinitis
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I did a search on Anthrocyanins and found the following on wikipedia (yes I know that this may not be the best source): "Anthocyanins....are water-soluble vacuolar pigments that may appear red, purple, or blue according to the pH. They belong to a parent class of molecules called flavonoids synthesized via the phenylpropanoid pathway; they are odorless and nearly flavorless, contributing to taste as a moderately astringent sensation.....In addition to their role as light-attenuators, anthocyanins also act as powerful antioxidants. ......Anthocyanins can be used as pH indicators because their color changes with pH. Anthocyanins are pink in acidic solutions (pH 7), and colourless in very alkaline solutions where the pigment is completely reduced."

SO, you may be able to determine the acidity of this tomato based on the color. This also may give clues to the developement of tomato acid/sugar balance in different climates. The J and L website states that: "The color is darkest in cooler weather and in full sunlight..." This statement suggests that tomatoes may produce less acidic fruit in cooler climates. Likewise anthrocyanins are used by plants as sunscreen, therefore darker in full sun. I happen to like the more acidic tomatoes myself, but the novelty is appealing.

• sanpedro
    12 years ago

Bosque Blue is a cross I made of OSU Blue/P20 and one of my favorite salad tomatoes. We have a farm so I try to breed new varieties for market which produce and sell well. I know several other people working on similar crosses and we trade seed and work to stabilize certain traits. That can take a while, but it is interesting and entertaining.

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022