Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What do you know about bosque blue tomato?

Posted by Kevinitis none (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 16, 12 at 23:51

Does anyone know anything about Bosque Blue tomato?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What do you know about bosque blue tomato?

What I know about it is that it was bred by Lee Goodwin of J and L gardens, link below, and I know several who will be growing it this summer, but since it's new, there's no feedback right now.

Lee and quite a few others are breeding some so called blue tomatoes, probably using OSU Blue P 20, trying to get some taste into these.

Dr. Myers at Oregon State recently released Indigo Rose, seeds available at several seed sites, he's the one who developed OSU Blue, so we shall see if Indigo Rose has some taste to it.

Hope that helps.

Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: J and L seeds

o

I got some in a seed trade yesterday as a surprise. My guess is that bosque blue decends from the OSU Blue P20. I'll give it a whirl this season too. My tomato growing goals weigh taste heavily. We'll see how these go. I'm trying to imagine purple/blue tomato sauce, blue tomatoes on a sandwich, blue tomato soup....Hard to visualize, but fun to grow.

o

As I said in my post above Lee probably did use P20 and there are many many others working with P20 as well.

And other so called blue varieties are the one developed in the UK and another one developed in Italy and seeds for those are not yet available.

You aren't going to get blue anything since the anthocyanins are in the skin only, so as one person said...I peel my tomatoes anyway, so no dietary anthocyanin for me. LOL

Carolyn

o

I did a search on Anthrocyanins and found the following on wikipedia (yes I know that this may not be the best source): "Anthocyanins....are water-soluble vacuolar pigments that may appear red, purple, or blue according to the pH. They belong to a parent class of molecules called flavonoids synthesized via the phenylpropanoid pathway; they are odorless and nearly flavorless, contributing to taste as a moderately astringent sensation.....In addition to their role as light-attenuators, anthocyanins also act as powerful antioxidants. ......Anthocyanins can be used as pH indicators because their color changes with pH. Anthocyanins are pink in acidic solutions (pH < 7), purple in neutral solutions (pH ~ 7), greenish yellow in alkaline solutions (pH > 7), and colourless in very alkaline solutions where the pigment is completely reduced."

SO, you may be able to determine the acidity of this tomato based on the color. This also may give clues to the developement of tomato acid/sugar balance in different climates. The J and L website states that: "The color is darkest in cooler weather and in full sunlight..." This statement suggests that tomatoes may produce less acidic fruit in cooler climates. Likewise anthrocyanins are used by plants as sunscreen, therefore darker in full sun. I happen to like the more acidic tomatoes myself, but the novelty is appealing.

o

Bosque Blue is a cross I made of OSU Blue/P20 and one of my favorite salad tomatoes. We have a farm so I try to breed new varieties for market which produce and sell well. I know several other people working on similar crosses and we trade seed and work to stabilize certain traits. That can take a while, but it is interesting and entertaining.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here