Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sautesmom

'Blush' tomato

Has anyone tried the new variety "Blush"? I love trying new plants, and when I saw it today at Whole Foods, I couldn't resist. I googled it when I got home and I see it is a new variety offered by Seeds of Change, very sweet and fruity (it says)

Has anyone here actually tried it?

Carla in Sac

Comments (11)

• carolyn137
    12 years ago

Carla, it was bred by Fred Hempel in California and I'm growing Blush and two others he sent me seeds for, one is Maglia Rose, which I also think he placed at SOC and the other one is Lucinda, a green when ripe that has carrot like foliage from his use of Silvery Fir Tree as part of the parentage.

If you Google his name you'll come up with his website, something like Bacchia No_______, I just can't remember right now; he doesn't sell seeds himself but see his website about his other activities. He also posts at another site where I participate along with some other hybridizers who have come up with some interesting new varieties.

There was a shortage of Blush seeds at SOC and folks were put on a waiting list, so as I see it, no one has yet grown Blush, also I think his Maglia Rose was offered a year ago.

Remind me in the Fall and I'll tell you what I think of all three as to taste and production. I know what they look like from his pictures, but not how they taste, which is why I grow tomatoes. ( smile) And I know others who are also growing Blush this summer/

Carolyn

• carolyn137
    12 years ago

Carla, I got that name ALL wrong, the name of the farm, so linked below to a general Google Search so you can see where they are located and what kinds of activities they're involved with.

The first link is the one to their farm/

I don't know the Sacramento area that well, so I don't know if they are near you.

And I forget to mention that Fred made a free seed offer at the other place for anyone who wanted seeds of Blush. And many took him up on that. He wanted a few varieties I had for his breeding projects so that's how I got the others as well.

And he was great sharing with folks posting that SOC is now out of Blush seeds, now there are more being sent, and on and on. ( smile)

Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: Google search

• sautesmom Sacramento
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Carolyn!
    Well, for those who want to try Blush too, Whole Foods has plants, at least in my area! I will also give my review after my plant ripens its fruit. It sounds quite yummy, I hope it lives up to the hype. :)

Carla in Sac

• carolyn137
    12 years ago

I need to make a major error correction here b'c Fred just PMed me elsewhere and noted that what I said was not correct about Blush being offered free at the other place and would compromise his association with Seeds of Change.

So I'll just cut and paste what he wrote to me here:

Someone sent me a Garden Web link where Blush was discussed.

You said that I offered Blush free to people. In reality, I offered Lucinda and Vesuvio and peppers free, but NOT Blush.

I did send you Blush, when I realized that it was unavailable, but I can not send it out generally as that isn't really in line with the exclusive distribution rights that Seeds of Change has.

I sent Blush seed to you as a professional courtesy. Would you mind correcting this? I don't want Seeds of Change to think that I am freely distributing this line.

And I'm glad Fred corrected me b'c I had no intention whatsoever of putting Fred in a possible conflict situation b'c of my bad memory. I should have gone back to that thread to review what he actually was offering, but when I saw the word Blush, that interested me and I didn't go back.

I'm sorry Fred, but I've now corrected it as you asked me to do.

Carolyn

• cdeberry_washjeff_edu
    12 years ago

I grew 3 Blush from seed this year. Also grew 3 Paul Robeson, 3 Rose, 1 San Marzano, 1 medium red of unknown variety and 1 yellow beefsteak of unknown variety (the last two were gifts from a friend).

Blush has been our favorite by far. The first ripe Blush were harvested on July 15 (I'm 30 miles south of Pittsburgh in SW PA). Off those 3 plants I am routinely harvesting 15 - 20 tomatoes every couple of days.

The plants are very vigorous. They have a slender upright growth habit, with oddly-shaped and very pendulous leaves - they almost have a "weeping" form. They do throw a lot of suckers, so pinching regularly is a must. Blush also has been less affected by late blight than any of my other varieties.

The fruits are borne in long trusses averaging 12 - 15 tomatoes. Ripe Blush are similar in form to Roma, except smaller and pointed at the blossom end. They ripen yellow, and some - but not all - of the dark green stripes turn deep pink / red. Do not wait for all of the stripes to turn red or the fruits will be overripe and start to rot. I've found that the best way to harvest is to give the fruits showing some pink a slight tug - if they don't drop off into your hand, leave them on the vine for one more day.

These are excellent snacking tomatoes, and make great salsa as they are not too juicy.

We like them so much that we are planning to grow 6 plants next year - that will be half of our tomatoes.

• Baia_Nicchia
    11 years ago

Are you guys seeing cracking? I have heard mixed things with regard to Blush and this trait.

• carolyn137
    11 years ago

Fred, I saw no cracking/splitting when I grew Blush and Maglia Rose in the same season. Very firm fruits seems to help, and at least where I grow tomatoes they need to stay on the vine until quite ripe to get the best taste.

Carolyn

• Adriana Gutierrez
    9 years ago

How is the flavor of blush? I like some acidity to my tomatoes.

• smithmal
    8 years ago

I grew Blush last year and thought it was just okay. The DTM was really long (I think it's thought of as a 50-60 day). You do get a good amount of fruit but it took a really long time to ripen (at least for me).

smithmal

• fireduck
    8 years ago

A nice lady over on T'ville sent me some Blush seeds this winter. She really loved them.

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County