Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catsnrabs

At The Risk...

Deeby
9 years ago

of being kicked off the forum.... I PLANTED A YELLOW PEAR TODAY !
I saw a healthy two foot plant at the farmers market and couldn't resist. I actually like the flavor which is to me not sweet at all but mild and Beefsteaky.
Yellow Pear is also IMO the prettiest tomato plant.
I'm sure I'm making enemies...

Comments (11)

• cold_weather_is_evil
    9 years ago

That may literally be the first tomato I ever had in my life, but it's the Comic Sans of tomatoes. Nothing wrong, just no respect.

I'm getting seeds in a few days to get ready for the second season. Thanks for the reminder...

• gin_gin
    9 years ago

"it's the Comic Sans of tomatoes." Ha!

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

I'd have to Google Comic Sans - my generation (OK, maybe my parents') it was Rodney Dangerfield who "got no respect".

OK - just looked it up, thought that was a weird name (but these days with comics like Carrot Top and rapper names, who knew?). It's a font! But Rodney always complained he "got no respect" either ;-)

I guess I'm offically an old fogey...

This post was edited by ajsmama on Tue, May 27, 14 at 7:50

• lucillle
    9 years ago

Deeby,

The opinions of others are sort of a gauge, but not a mandate, for what might appeal to you. You are entitled to your own opinion. "This above all, to thine own self be true"
    If you like a yellow pear by all means enjoy your purchase.

• carolyn137
    9 years ago

For those interested there are several different Yellow Pear versions out there, Yellow Submarine, which is PL being one of them, and IMO Red Pear is MUCH better than Yellow Pear.

Another one, Medovaya Kaplya, I do like quite a bit, the fruits are small and yellow and look like wee handbags tied at the top.

I used to grow both the Yellow and Red Pears, along with many other varieties when I was selling to restaurants, all those many years ago.

In the link below some of those other ones are listed and you can use Tania's website to find some of the others I mentioned,

Hope that helps,

Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: Other Yellow Pears plus Red

• centexan254 zone 8 Temple, Tx
    9 years ago

Not only did I plant one this year. I have eaten some of them as well. While not the very best tasting of tomatoes they are not bad either. If I have the chance I may grow another one next year as well.

• gardener_mary
    9 years ago

Yum, Yellow Pear is one of my favorites. It just doesn't truly feel like summer without them. It's the first tomato that I remember growing with my Grandfather, so many years ago. I hope that yours grows very well for you.

Good Gardening, Mary

• missingtheobvious
    9 years ago

As a librarian who made many, many flyers and signs for children's programs, Comic Sans was a font that got a lot of respect! It had way more "kid appeal" than the other Microsoft fonts (unfortunately we were limited to the fonts which came with our library PCs).

Now, Times New Roman is my personal "most hated font."

I wonder what would be the Times New Roman of tomatoes.... Big Boy, maybe?

• Deeby
    Original Author
    9 years ago

How nice of all of you ! I get to staaaaaaaaaay !!!

• seysonn
    9 years ago

I had Yellow pear last year. I liked the shape and color. Cannot remember the taste. But it was not a good producer in my garden. AND after reading some NOT SO positive reviews , I was scared off. hehe

• ediej1209 AL Zn 7
    9 years ago

We planted a YP once. My goodness, it was like a jungle!! Outgrew every cage and/or stake we tried to put in. We ended up giving up and just letting it take over a whole section of the garden. Wish the tomatoes we got off of it would have been worth losing so much real estate to it. But now we grow Sunsugar, a yellow cherry instead. We love the flavor much better and it is a better-mannered plant. However, having said that, if someone were to offer me a bowlful of YP's, I wouldn't say no ;^)

Edie

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES