Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tomatoes and salt water

Posted by trainmac 6 (My Page) on
Wed, May 9, 12 at 0:26

I have read about using diluted sat water to irrigate tomato plants to increase antioxidants and to make for a tastier tomato.

Any truth to this?

If so exactly what is the procedure? When do I do it? Do I do it once? When? If using seaawater what is the mix (10%)? Do I only do it during fruiting? Am I applying it once or am I actually irrigating with it? Is it really worth the effort?

What I have read so far online has not gone into any detail.

Thanks for any advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tomatoes and salt water

Geez ,you read about it,please enlighten all of us.
Where did you read this.?Any truth to this? I have questions .

o

Trainmac, find the current thread about looking for strong, tart flavored tomatoes, and partway through HReynolds357 mentions using salt to increase the tartness of any tomato. I've never heard of this or tried it, but at least there is someone here who has tried something similar to what you are asking. Cheers!

o

I'd be very skeptical about anything that adds sodium to water, as most plants abhor it. This is why you don't use softened water to water plants. Sodium blocks uptake of other nutrients.

o

Link below is to all kinds of info on it - everything anyone could possibly want to know about it and then some. Note what is used is diluted sea water in the studies done (which also just happens to be nutrient rich). Got access to sea water? Otherwise do so at your own risk.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Salt water irrigation yields

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here