Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nugrdnnut

Are they goners?

nugrdnnut
9 years ago

Although I don't have a picture yet, here is the problem.

I transplanted 11 tomato plants, started in a green house, about 2 weeks ago. They looked good but in the last few days they, most but not all, started to wilt. Today they, most but not all, looked worse. Leaf curl, followed by wilting of leaves, and now wilting of the stock which are "crooked" as a dog's hind leg! Otherwise, there are no spots/yellowing/ or other blemishes. The black cherry in one other bed looks okay.

I have 3 orange bell peppers and 3 jalapeno peppers planted in one of the raised beds where these tomatoes are suffering. The peppers, for the most part, look okay (one is kind of wilty looking).

The affected tomatoes are all in 2 raised beds (again, transplanted 2 weeks ago). Another tomato, a black cherry, is planted in another bed. All 4 bed were filled with the same materials... 25% vermiculite or perlite, 25 % peat, and 50 percent compost (1/2 of which of my own making, the other 1/2 purchased through a big box store - 5 varieties).
None of my other vegetables (peas, onions, carrots, beets, broccoli, cabbage, lettuce, garlic, radishes, and cauliflower) are affected and, in-fact, are growing/thriving. Additionally, I have 2 tomatilla's which are each in 18 gallon containers about 10 feet away from the tomatoes and are dark green, look healthy, and are growing well.

Additionally, I have ~ 10 tomato plants in pots from winter sowing that don't seem to be affected, which really confounds the situation.

I've been doing a lot of research/reading the last few days. I am thinking that the affects on the tomatoes may be from herbicidal drift!

Any thoughts, diagnosis, and prognosis is appreciated.

The modified mel's mix drains well and i've been checking moisture daily.

I will try to post pictures tomorrow!

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Top Choice for Reliable Outdoor Construction