Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tomato update with pictures

Posted by jrslick KS/5 (My Page) on
Sun, May 20, 12 at 0:38

The last time I posted pics, I had several people ask if I would add more later in the season. So here you go.

Big tomato building
Photobucket

Polbig Tomatoes
Photobucket

Cherokee Purple
Photobucket

Indigo Rose
Photobucket

Cherry Tomatoes (in another building)
Photobucket

Photobucket

Jay

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tomato update with pictures

Wow: if those cherry tomatoes are already the forest primeval, what will they be like at the end of the summer?

o

I would love to get lost in one of these buildings later in the season...YUM!!

o

Paradise :)

o

What do you use to fertilize those things??

o

Impressive Jay! Careful, you could easily lose the girls in that jungle. :) Good luck with the markets this year.

Dave

o

The cherry tomatoes got away from me this year already. I need to run a hedge trimmer down the row. Ok, may be I will just heavily prune them! They need some of the lower leaves pruned to make it easier to pick. The big ones need to be pruned too, but I have to get other things planted first!

Missing: It is going to be a jungle in there this year, that is for sure! Last year the plants were just tall and spindly. Produced like crazy, but this year they are all bushy again. Different year.

Aj's: We put down 2-4 inches of compost on each bed, tilled it in and then covered with plastic mulch and drip tape. No fertilizer.

Jay

o

Very cool pics! I love your operation.

o

I've pruned cherry tomatoes with an electric hedge trimmer, they seemed to laugh at the concept and doubled in size in two weeks.

I'm looking at those pictures and can imagine the intense tomato plant scent. Must be heavenly.

o

What do you do for pollinators?

o

ernie:

Tomatoes are self pollinating. Don't need insects. Wind or shaking helps.

o

Wow, that is one nice setup!
Have you given any thought to harvesting the scent, so you could break it out in mid-winter? I bet you could make a fortune. ;)
Only a little jealous, yours are so far ahead of mine, but I do have blooms. Thank you for sharing.

o

I really like the smell of the cherry tomatoes. The Sungold leaves have a sweet smell about them.

Just an FYI, these plants were put out on March 19th.

Ernie: The wind pollinates the tomatoes by moving the flowers and that gets the pollen to fall. If it isn't windy or I have the building closed up for some reason, I will walk through the building and shake the trellis posts.

Dave: Lose the girls, heck sometimes I get lost!

Jay

o

aak. I know this. Flatulence of the brain.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here