Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Brown and Scaly along leaf veins

Posted by Lytic none (My Page) on
Fri, May 11, 12 at 1:47

Any idea's on what this is?

I've about 4 different types of tomato plants. All were doing really well. All inside and in pots.

A few weeks ago Every single one of one type's leaves started wilting, at the same time regardless of plant size.
This only happens on the older stems, working bottom and up. Prior to them wilting they are developing this scaly brown on the underside of the leaves, along the veins.

All my other tomato plants are thriving.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Brown and Scaly along leaf veins

Looks like Scale IMO, a pest problem common to house plants and difficult to eradicate. They are actually insects although they don't appear as such.

Neem Oil spray helps but many recommend first cleaning the leaves with cotton balls dipped in a mix of rubbing alcohol and water 1 part alcohol to 5 parts waters.

I have no idea how well this will work on tomato plants, no personal experience using it on them, since they are not normally grown indoors.

You can Google 'Scale on house plants' for more info and lots of pics.

Dave

o

Hi. Did you ever find out what this was or how to cure it? I'm having the same problem and it seems to be rare enough that this is the only similar picture I can find on the internet!

Thanks!

o

It didn't look like scale to me. It looks more like edema caused by overwatering. Google images of scale. It looks more like little raised shells. It would be very unusual for a tomato seedling to become that badly infected with scale. I would destroy the plant if it had scale that bad.

o

IME, that is not scale... scale will be individual waxy encapsulations that actually house the insects.
This looks like edema to me too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here