Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mjhuntingtonbeach

Got the tomatoes planted this weekend :)

mjhuntingtonbeach
10 years ago

Although I am in Southern California, being close to the ocean, the weather here doesn't really start warming up with sunny warm days and nights above the low/mid 50's until mid May so I target this time to plant. Also, I don't have the acreage to plant all I would normally like, so this year I will have six plants in pots, and another two in the ground along the wall, plus two orphans I need to find a good home or extra pots for :)

The mix this year will be:

1.My red ribbed cherry;
2.Kazachka, a black cherry;
3.Green Zebra striped cherry;
4.Joe's Pink Oxheart, and,
5.An unknown golfball sized black salad tomato, grown from seeds I got at a farmer's market about 8 years ago

Carolyn was kind enough to share some seeds for the Kazachka black cherry, the Green Zebra cherry, and the Joe's Pink Oxheart in exchange for my red cherry seeds. I am looking forward to seeing how they turn out, they sound great. The red ribbed cherry I have grown via saved seeds since I found it in the early 90's, and the black salad tomato, whatever it is, I have saved from seed for at least 6-8 years.

The gang pre-planting on Saturday:

My Joe's Pink Oxheart, :)

Plantings:

Two along the wall:

6 in my big pots. They usually do pretty well here, by the time they hit their peak they are usually around 5-8 feet tall.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area