Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Got the tomatoes planted this weekend :)

Posted by mjhuntingtonbeach 10b (My Page) on
Wed, May 8, 13 at 2:07

Although I am in Southern California, being close to the ocean, the weather here doesn't really start warming up with sunny warm days and nights above the low/mid 50's until mid May so I target this time to plant. Also, I don't have the acreage to plant all I would normally like, so this year I will have six plants in pots, and another two in the ground along the wall, plus two orphans I need to find a good home or extra pots for :)

The mix this year will be:

1.My red ribbed cherry;
2.Kazachka, a black cherry;
3.Green Zebra striped cherry;
4.Joe's Pink Oxheart, and,
5.An unknown golfball sized black salad tomato, grown from seeds I got at a farmer's market about 8 years ago

Carolyn was kind enough to share some seeds for the Kazachka black cherry, the Green Zebra cherry, and the Joe's Pink Oxheart in exchange for my red cherry seeds. I am looking forward to seeing how they turn out, they sound great. The red ribbed cherry I have grown via saved seeds since I found it in the early 90's, and the black salad tomato, whatever it is, I have saved from seed for at least 6-8 years.

The gang pre-planting on Saturday:

photo DSC05795_zps1cf11cb1.jpg

My Joe's Pink Oxheart, :)

photo DSC05796_zps4a1bfb72.jpg

Plantings:

Two along the wall:

photo DSC05824_zps08bb0909.jpg
 photo DSC05823_zpsbb6a1e93.jpg
 photo DSC05825_zps28f36184.jpg

6 in my big pots. They usually do pretty well here, by the time they hit their peak they are usually around 5-8 feet tall.

photo DSC05826_zps1ff19bb3.jpg
 photo DSC05827_zps6eaf1337.jpg
 photo DSC05828_zpsd591fbfb.jpg
 photo DSC05829_zps515cb2f7.jpg
 photo DSC05830_zps55e3a4e7.jpg
 photo DSC05831_zps8ef901d0.jpg
 photo DSC05831_zps8ef901d0.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Got the tomatoes planted this weekend :)

"Although I am in Southern California, being close to the ocean, the weather here doesn't really start warming up with sunny warm days and nights above the low/mid 50's until mid May"

You must have a micro climate and not actually 10b? I'm in SC, 7b and normally we are above 50's in mid April. Funky weather and a lot of rain has kept it cooler this year though.

The toms that I put in my homemade "earth buckets" early March are already blooming and growing like crazy. My in ground toms are kinda sitting there. Due to the rain and cool nights.

Great looking toms! I have a quarter that I'm willing to bet that the potted ones produce first!

I had ripe ones in May last year but I babied them and planted earlier. I would bring them inside at night when the temps were going to be near or below 50.

o

everything looks really great.

o

• Posted by qaguy Sunset 21/LosAngeles (My Page) on
    Wed, May 8, 13 at 19:06

I planted mine/yours in the ground this weekend too! Great
minds run alike.

All that recent rain we got and the fact that I'm leaving for
two weeks in Hawaii next week got me going. Figured they'd be in
the ground for a week before I leave. They're doing fine
so far.

I've a great neighbor who'll take care of the garden while
I'm gone.

Temps here have been up and down, but we're usually
above the magic 55 degree point at night. Forecast looks
quite good for the next week, both days and nights.

Already have a few fruit on some of the plants I put in
the ground a month ago.

Here's hopin!

o

How long ago did you start the seeds?

o

• Posted by qaguy Sunset 21/LosAngeles (My Page) on
    Thu, May 9, 13 at 0:28

wertach - there are numerous micro-climates in the LA area.

Sunset Magazine lists 7 different ones. Mike in Huntington Beach (Sunset zone 24) is very different than mine in Glendora (Sunset zone 21) which is about 25 miles north
of him.

While the USDA lumps us all together, you can't really go by their map here in LA.

o

Looking good Mike and I hope it means that you got decent germination with the seeds I sent you as thanks for your red ribbed one you sent me, which is being grown in NC for seed production for all the many ways that I do share seeds with others. ( smile)

Carolyn

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here