Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help!! Sick Tomato Seedlings

Posted by northerner_on Z5A ONCanada (My Page) on
Sat, May 19, 12 at 2:10

I am just coming to the end of my most successful attempt at growing tomato seedlings under lights in my basement. The plants are healthy, strong, and much larger than most years BUT I have recently noticed an 'infection' of some sort on two taller plants. At first I thought they got too close to the lights and there was a bit of 'sunburn' but now I notice it is on some of the other plants. Could this possibly be blight on indoor seedlings? Those infected are Black Krim(2), Beefsteak (2), and 'Yellow Meaty Itlian' (2), which are all new varieties to me and the seeds were obtained in trades. All my pots were washed with warm soapy water and disinfected in bleach, and I used a sterile soilless mix for germination. Here are a few pics. of the leaves. Should they be tossed? Would removing the affected leaves help? There are other seedlings nearby: peppers and other veggies and they look fine. Your advice is appreciated.Thank you.
Blight1
Blight3

Blight2
Blight4

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help!! Sick Tomato Seedlings

Perhaps it is spider mites. Do you see any fine webbing on the plants?

Here is a link that might be useful: My tomatoes and gardens

o

Spider mites was my first thougt too. You'll spot them on the underside of the leaf. Pick one of the affected leaves, one that's not gone all crispy yet, and look for the fine webbing mentione, and many small dots, some dark some light. Sometimes a gentle breath across the leaf can get them to start moving so they are easier to spot. If not, then spider mites probably can be ruled out. Cheers!

o

Likely environmental. The lights.

o

You need to let us know if there are any signs of pests - either spider mites or aphids - as that is the most likely cause given the symptoms displayed in the photos.

But no it isn't early blight or any other disease. Have you sprayed with with something? Perhaps over-fertilized them?

Otherwise I'd agree with environmental damage of some sort.

Dave

o

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I can breathe a sigh of releif now I know it is not any kind of blight. There is no sign of any other pests around. I have had aphids and white fly in previous years, but nothing else is clearly visible. I'll get my magnifying glass out and have a closer look. These tomatoes have only been fertilized once or twice with a very weak solution of soluble fertilizer, but they are really overdue for planting out and probably a bit over crowded. They are still indoors because we have been having such cold weather. I probably should set the fan on them a bit. I have not done that this year. I will clean them up and start hardening them off over the weekend. I was so proud of myself it would have been very hard to take if I had to toss them. Happy Gardening, all!!
P.S. Enjoyed your site Kr222, gave me some ideas for my salvia seedlings. N.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here