Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenmommy_2010

Excited for Tomato Season?!?

gardenmommy_2010
10 years ago

So, raise of hands, who's excited for a new tomato season? Pulling up my potatoes & other spring crops & making the final selections for what's going into the summer garden. While all crops are fun (trying corn this year) the tomatoes are my babies.

So, this year I'm repeating Cherokee Purple (amazing last year), Burgandy Traveler (always great), Black Prince (always great), Black Krim, Kelloggs Breakfast, Hillbilly, Sungold and Orange Strawberry. New to the group are Mortgage Lifter and Pink Brandywine (wish me luck). While I've gradually reduced my tomato garden space from 40 plants (whoa) to 15 plants this year I'm still excited to have fresh tomatoes right off the vine.

What are you planting and who are your favorites?

Here's to a great tomato summer. May they be tasty and plentiful!

Comments (7)

• bigpinks
    10 years ago

Tomatoes and other vegetables are my second favorite hobby after College Football. I have 66 plants started. Estler Mortgage Lifter, Cherokee Purple, Indian Stripe, Mr Stripey, Parks Whopper, Orange Slice and 4 diff color cherries. My neighbor is gonna give me a few Bearclaw and Old Fashioned Goliath after the Monday night horror show. I should say Chiller. I am very excited too. My half runner beans came up fine and the Silver King corn is just starting. Squash, cukes and zuchinni planted but not up. Good luck!

• LynnMarie_
    10 years ago

(Hand raised) I am pretty excited. I started mine from seed this year and managed to not accidentally kill many. I started mortgage lifter, rutgers, and early girl. I also have one mystery tomato plant that sprouted in a pot of flower seeds I started much earlier than the other tomatoes. Since I had such a good survival rate with my seedlings, I decided not to finish the early girls because I wasn't too impressed with the flavor last year. The others look great and are going in the ground tomorrow. Its my first time growing both mortgage lifter and rutgers so I hope they are good choices. Next year, I am going to broaden my tomato horizons and try some unusual (to me) varieties.

Lynn

• suburbangreen
    10 years ago

I am.
    We had our coolest April on record this Spring, but the plants have been taking off the last couple weeks. Hopefully the cool trend continues so we can extend our harvest.

Big Cheef

Abe Lincoln

Bloody Butcher

Neves Azorean Red

Today's harvest

• qaguy
    10 years ago

You bet I'm excited. I get that way every year. I'm so
    spoiled by my tomatoes I eat very few tomatoes when
    they're not mine.

Brandywine (Sudduth)
    Cherokee Purple
    Kellog's Breakfast (my all time favorite)
    Lemon Boy
    Super Sweet 100 (first time - Sweet 100 not available)
    Momotaro
    Better Boy
    Italian Heritage (first time)
    Selbo's ribbed red cherry (first time - Thanks Mike)

• newyorkrita
    10 years ago

Me too, me too. I was really excited about last year but this year even more so. I have a record number of tomato plants (62) and they are all planted out and already growing.

• hudson___wy
    10 years ago

I am excited to try Brandy Boy and German Giant. Can anyone tell me how these varieties perform/taste? We have always had good luck with Better Boy but expanding to a few new varieties this year.

• hoosier40 6a Southern IN
    10 years ago

Can't wait, should be able to plant out everything this week. Was hoping to jump in whole hog with OP varieties but didn't get it done this year. I had a lot of seed so I decided to just use up what I had.

Roma
    Rutgers
    Big Boy
    Better Boy
    Delicious
    Early Girl
    Black Krim
    Porterhouse
    Super Steak
    Super Beefsteak
    Yellow Brandywine
    Unknown German Red