Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seysonn

Still Waiting to Plant out ?

seysonn
9 years ago

Still Waiting to Plant out ?

I wonder if there are any tomato gardeners who are still waiting for warmer temperatures !
Below is a snap shot of temperatures across USA, in this early morning hours on May 20th, 2014. I don't see any temperature lower than 45F, anywhere. That is a very good thing. And I am so glad that the Ole Man winter has packed and left America, finally. I drink to that. God Bless America ! Our own temp at this moment is a beautiful 50F and expected to drop another degree tonight to 49F.

HAPPY 2014 SEASON TO ALL !

Comments (18)

• CaraRose
    9 years ago

Only one I'm waiting on to plant out is my black cherry tom. And that's cause I got them outside a bit late and they're still hardening.

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

I'm still hardening my first round off. Hard to do when we haven't had much sun. They got afternoon sun yesterday (and maybe a little on Sunday), have them out in AM sun for longer today, will probably leave them out tonight but last night was 43 here so had them in garage. But Thurs AM is supposed to be 45, rain during the day so depending on how heavy the rain is supposed to be I may just bring them back into garage Wed night - I have to bring my mom to the airport at 6:30AM Thurs and don't want to have to worry about heavy rain/wind, I'll just see how the weather is when I get back home and put them out then if it's not pouring.

Looks like a repeat of last year when it took forever to harden off, then when I finally did get them in the ground in June it rained so much everything was stunted and I had to replace half of them by the end of June. First ripe "early" tomatoes in August!

• ediej1209 AL Zn 7
    9 years ago

We've got nasty stuff forecast for the next couple of nights... hail, damaging winds, etc. - all the fun stuff! But my little guys are doing pretty good out there in their individual cups. Hopefully by Monday we can get them in the ground (or containers for a couple of them.)
    Happy planting to all!
    Edie

• jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
    9 years ago

The first 400 have been planted for 3 plus weeks, in the high tunnel. We have had to cover them up 3 times due to frost. I have the next planting of 300-400 to go out this weekend. Then another 200-300 in 3 weeks and the final 100 in a month. I am starting another 50 tonight for a very late season tomatoes that we will carry on until Thanksgiving time.

Not a very early year. We had frost last weekend some people were as cold as 28 degrees. They lost lots of plants.

Jay

• kenzo
    9 years ago

all in the ground/containers here in Philly as of last weekend - its still getting cold-ish at night and my guys are still sort of little because I started seed a few weeks late - hope they start a growth push soon but they look happy enough each morning. I am hoping the cooler milder temps get the roots growing before real heat rolls in. Seems like we have a break from severe weather so hopefully they have a shot to get established.

• sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    9 years ago

41 early this morning. I've left out some sacrificial 'culls' during all of this just for fun and they seem the happiest.
    I started twice what i have room for expecting the usual 'trip and dump' or odd tray mix-up, etc problems.
    They all took off, even the weaker ones i tossed aside and left for dead. (a week later stuck in pots)

• ZachS. z5 Platteville, Colorado
    9 years ago

I got mine planted this weekend. I know plenty of people here in rocky mountain region who are still waiting though. This week is in the 80's, next week, well, you can never rule out a hard freeze or even snow (we had snow in mid June here in Denver less then 10 years ago, and, despite popular belief, were not even in the mountains).

• johns.coastal.patio
    9 years ago

"despite popular belief, were not even in the mountains"

I think you've adjusted your zero ;-)

(he said from 40 feet of elevation.)

• nugrdnnut
    9 years ago

Although the map is nice, folks need to be very aware of local conditions and be prepared to cover tender crops as needed.

My dad, who lives outside of Missoula, MT had a low of 20 degrees the other day... my garden has been fully planted for 2 1/2 weeks.

• Rio_Grande
    9 years ago

We have waited and planted the first 200 yesterday because they were too big for their pots. Going to wait till Monday and put another 200-400 out. We haven't been able to harden off this year and will likely loose a lot of them.

• sheltieche
    9 years ago

Well, plant swap is coming, I have oodles of tomatoes and peppers, so if anyone around Chicago area avail, drop by Friday eve at Evanston UCE. Hoping overgrown seedlings will get their permanent locations this weekend. Weather has been good for last couple of days.

• seysonn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

GURRREAT!
    Everybody is into it.

PLANT OUT, PLANT OUT, PLANT OUT !

Let us see those red juicy thing paint your garden . Mine are just in flower stage right now ... from flower to fruit it should take 40 to 60 days.(maybe 35 to 59 , depending on how hot it gets)

• woost2
    9 years ago

Still waiting in Madison, WI for toms and peppers. Probably will do this week.

• seysonn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh, Madison ! warm up please and you old Man winter go away ! hehe

Here were are, Memorial Weekend. This should do it almost for 98% of US and even some parts of Canada.
    Still Not Ready to plant out ?
    Just kidding. Do what is right for you.

I did extend my season by some planning and taking some small calculated risk. Now my matoes are all blooming and some are setting fruits. Some have grown from 6/8" to over 24" tall. Still our weather has not warmed up.According to forecast this Sunday HIGH will be 63F, LOW 48F. But my plants have already acclimated and can brush that off easily.

I wish you a nice Memorial weekend around the garden !

• lori_ny
    9 years ago

We had a hard frost last year @ May 25th so I'm waiting till next week to plant. I'll start hardening them off this week:) I have next Thurs + Fri off from work so I'm aiming to plant those days. That will be May 29th and 30th.

• seysonn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yeah, Lori,.. You have to harden them off first and need time to plant out as well.
    But weather is not predictable based on last year. They accumulate the historic data and make statistical data bank. It is a mathematical method not just plain averaging. But luckily with today's technology and weather forecasting we can tell with a reasonable certainty up to more than a week ahead.

Anyway, you have to do what you think is right for you.

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

I'm still hardening off (plants haven't seen much sun since it's been cloudy/rainy here, have had a few sunny days they got AM eastern sun but not full day sun yet). It's going to be 45 as a low Wed and I have a lot of other things to do (still trying to get high tunnel together and beds prepped in it, have to plant beans and cukes and such - haven't even taken soil temp yet) so I think it will be 29th and after for me. I haven't even started hardening off the tomatoes I started April 6 (and ones DD started 4/17) or the peppers yet.

Next year with the tunnel up I'm hoping to put the transplants out in it the end of April.

• User
    9 years ago

out today - hooray, hooray