Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Confused about Bone Meal and Lime

Posted by littleblu87 z7 (My Page) on
Sun, May 20, 07 at 3:48

What is the difference between Bone Meal and Lime? For what reasons would you use them?

I am growing a few tomato plants each in their own pot. Last year I had a problem with Blossom End Rot near the end of the season. I also didn't get that many tomatoes and my determinate tomatoes grew more like indeterminate. I think the unstable weather was a big part of the problem. I also think I was using the wrong fertilizer.

This year I'm using potting soil rather than the mix I used last year. For the fertilizer, should I be using Bone Meal or Lime?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Confused about Bone Meal and Lime

They both have a lot of calcium but the uses are different

Lime is used mostly to raise the pH of soil, though it also adds calcium. Use lime if you need to raise garden soil pH, a soil test will tell you this. But if you are using potting soil you do no need to add lime.

Bone meal contains some nitrogen and a lot of phosphorous as well as calcium. Phosphorous builds up the root system of tomatoes, bone meal has it but lime does not. Mix it into the soil well, don't just sprinkle it on top. The calcium helps against blossom end rot; however you probably need some other source of additional nitrogen and also potassium, because bone meal just by itself is not a balanced fertilizer.

o

I'm trying Lobster Compost which has plenty of calcium to prevent BER. I'll let you know how it goes end of season.

o

Since you are growing them in containers you need a balanced low-dose fertilizer that provides all three N-P-K nutrients as well as some micronutrients. Neither lime nor bone meal does that so I would suggest you pass on both of them for container growing. Neither is fast acting so neither would correct your problem for the current season.

There are many well-balanced fertilizers made, both low-dose organic and chem based, and several made especially for container growing. The link below discusses several of them or consider one of the Epsoma ferts, fish oil emulsion, time-release soil additives, or regular use of compost tea.

There are many causes/contributing factors to BER and calcium management is only one of them. This is especially true in containers. Unstable weather (as you mention), inconsistent watering, excessive use of nitrogen (determinate growing like indeterminates might be a sign of that), root bound plants, container size, top growth exceeding root support, poorly draining container mix or excessive draining that cause washout of fertilizer, etc. It is difficult but not impossible to avoid them all. ;) Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fertilizing Container Plants

o

if you put the meal on the bottum of the hole you dig buy the time the plant starts to flower it will be ready to be used by the plant

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here