Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does my plant have a disease or deficiency? See pic

Posted by Remodeller none (My Page) on
Mon, May 13, 13 at 3:52

I have planted two tomato plants this year so far in my very first EarthTainer I built. I bought two organic seedlings from Whole Foods market, one is a Pantano Romanesco and the other is a Bush Celebrity. Before I could get my EarthTainer done we had a lot of wind so they blew over a few times in the middle of the night and the labels fell out so I do not know which is which- would need a Tomato Jedi for that.
Recently I noticed one tomato plant has these whiteish spots on its stem- is this normal for either of the two species I mentioned?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does my plant have a disease or deficiency? See pic

I see a couple of possibilities but given the off-color in the photo I can't be sure. There are some small white spots that look like stem edema caused by overwatering.

The larger greenish-brown patches "could be" Early Blight but they are usually more brown and there don't appear to be any signs of it on the leaves that I can see and it usually shows up there first. So they "could be" just more but older edematous patches.

So if it was my plant I would cut back substantially on the water. If it is all due to rain then drain out the reservoir and pull back the plastic so the soil can dry out and continue to monitor the plant. I would also begin a fungicide spraying program in case of EB.

Hope this helps.

Dave

o

Unable to see sufficient detail to say for certain.

A possibility for the "white spots" -- if small & bulging out of stem, might be root initials. Common in humid conditions.

o

I took another pic and added some text and arrows to make it clearer what I was referring to. Maybe its normal or maybe not- just making sure- I did see some moisture trapped under the clear trashbag cover- Ill post that pic too

o

I had the same thing happen to one of my two larger plants that I had in a nursery pot waiting to transfer to the ground. It had been outside for a couple of weeks. The first day we go a sustained breeze with some fairly significant gusts, the same 'blisters' appeared. I think it was wind damage. I thought I had given it enough wind protection that day but apparently not. My leaves were a little droopy as well. I brought it back in once I saw it in this state.

It seems to be doing fine now...except for the stem marks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here