Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ontheteam

Tomato killler

ontheteam
10 years ago

Someone take this light rack away from me.... I have killed more tomatoes then any one person should. I started 4 trays of seedlings in April to replace the ones I stared in Feb that died and those died too...It is like they got damp off but at the top on the stem it is all pinched.
Now I am really stressing cause I needed these starts for a plant sale I run ..we are known for selling hard to find tomatoes and raise a lot of money for Children;s Hospital in Boston selling them ..now I have ZERO... any one know where I can get heirloom starts for a reasonable price or a generous company that would donate some?

Here is a link that might be useful: My blog

Comments (11)

• LinzyLu
    10 years ago

Try Lowe's! You should go at the start of the weekend (Thursday or Friday afternoon, or early Saturday morning) when they usually get new shipments in to get the healthiest and widest selection. Sometimes they give discounts to charities and the like, but the prices are generally low anyway. They have a couple different brands, mainly Bonnie, but you can find everything from various hybrids to organic tomato starts (and larger), including several different types of heirloom. I'm not advertising for Lowe's OR Bonnie. I went there this past weekend and got a few nice tomato and basil plants! Good luck!!

• ontheteam
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the tip!

• seysonn
    10 years ago

If you can buy plant from HD or Lowes, then is it called "hard to Find"?

May be you should try some smaller local nurseries. Or check with your regional gardening group to see if some of them can spare few plants for a good cause.

• LinzyLu
    10 years ago

Just trying to help!

This post was edited by LinzyLu on Tue, May 6, 14 at 16:08

• garf_gw
    10 years ago

What you need is fresh planting medium.

• ontheteam
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Garf, I do not have time to re grow anything..the plant sale started Friday and runs all month. Nothing I plant n ow will be ready to sell before the 31st

• lucillle
    10 years ago

You posted back in March looking for plant donations as well.
    If you can't start from seed successfully, you certainly can learn, but until you get the hang of it, maybe sell something else.

• ontheteam
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Actually Lucille I have done this for 5 years with good results . This year I got a new light rack and the learning curve is deeper then I expected.

What I posted in March was a general invatation for anyone who WANTED to help. Not a specific request for donations.

Over the years I have found GW's to be a kind,helpful,supportive group of people. So I like to offer them an outlet for that. Some people actually like to be nice and helpful.
    This post is NOT a request for donations from GW's but was a post looking for A) sympathy, B) some help as to what I did wrong and C) asking if anyone knew company's that sold seedlings in BULK or a lead on charitable minded company's .

• lucillle
    10 years ago

Until you get the hang of growing tomatoes with your new lights, perhaps you can try something else.
    Watermelon seedlings might be popular, as easy as they are to direct seed, they fly off the shelf when Walmart sells them as seedlings.

• missingtheobvious
    10 years ago

Perhaps seedlings of giant pumpkins? I'm under the impression that the average gardener wouldn't know where to obtain seeds of those varieties. You could put together a list of tips for growing them, and hand those out with each purchase.

• booberry85
    10 years ago

Try Craig's list under Free or Farm & Garden sections. I've given away my extras that way before. I would also try local but larger greenhouses & nurseries for a variety of different tomato plants. Maybe give them a call first and explain your situation and see if they'll donate or sell for a discounted price. You may want to check with local gardening clubs or even gardening friends to see if they have extras of unusual tomato plants.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations