Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Why are my toms out in the heat fruiting and my other ones not?

Posted by KudosFromUdo none (My Page) on
Fri, May 4, 12 at 6:10

I started growing vegetables for the first time last year and tomatoes for the first time this year. There is something I don't understand. I planted about 20 tomatoes in partial shade because of the brutal heat around here. I started them in Feb and they are all 2-4 feet tall right now and some have flowers but I have no fruit.

What puzzles me is that, b/c of lack if space,I transplanted 2 Violet Jaspers, that I started late, out with my peppers in full sun in the 100+ degree heat(the last 4 days have been a "cool" 86-92 though). They are also exposed to the winds we have been having. Yet these plants both have about a half dozen little tomatoes each even though they are both under 18" tall and much younger than my other plants.

I thought toms couldn't produce fruit in extreme heat. Is it the variety or are toms much more heat tolerant than I thought?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Why are my toms out in the heat fruiting and my other ones no

I do the same - a planting in full sun for an early harvest before the extreme heat and humidity causes my tomatoes to stop setting and a planting in partial shade for later but longer fruit production.

And I also had the same experience with the Violet Jasper last year. Which was unfortunate because that tomato was terrible - mealy and almost sour tasting but INCREDIBLY prolific even after I stopped watering it, hoping it would die but feeling too guilty to pull it myself.

o

If these Violet Jaspers produce like you say they do, especially in this heat. I may grow more next year even if they do taste a little bland. We can use them in salsa. It should be interesting to see how these tomatoes act in perhaps the hottest area if the nation outside of Death Valley. I know my peppers are going nuts right now. I already have red Chile de Arbol and bell peppers, but I wish my Pasilla would turn black. They have been huge for a while now.

o

You're outside of Death Valley? How cool! Ha - or not. :) Another heat lover I would recommend is the costoluto. I am also not a big fan of that tomato but production was good during the hottest part of the summer last year.

Big Rainbow and Cherokee Purple are also good with heat but are later to produce. And yes - pretty much all of my salsa last year came from the Violet Jaspers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here