Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linzylu_gw

Newbie to tomato and container gardening

LinzyLu
9 years ago

I'm growing two determinate tomato plants in 5'' pots (they're both still pretty small, only a few inches tall) and I need some help from some experienced growers! The two plants I have are produced by the company Bonnie, and the ones I bought were advertised on the shelf as being good for growing in containers in small spaces (I live in a 3rd story apartment with a covered balcony but it still gets sun all day from the east, south, and west), Several questions..

I put a light sprinkling of Osmocote (which is supposedly good for flowering plants as well as vegetables and fruits, guaranteed not to burn, but it doesn't give the ratio of fertilizers) around the base of the plant. I put about a tablespoon which is what the directions recommend, yet I'm skeptical. Is that enough? Should I try to make my own with higher amounts of nitrogen? Or is it too early for that since they're just starting out? HELP!

Should I go ahead and transplant them into slightly bigger pots? The info card says they stay pretty short and stocky, growing maybe only a 1.5-2' tall and maybe 18'' wide, but is 5'' enough?

We're destined for a big jump in temps in the next couple days..going from low to mid 70s up to mid to upper 80s..should I keep them only in partial sun until they are able to adjust to the big jump in heat? Or keep them in the sun and just let them adjust while keeping them watered really well?

I need answers to these 3 questions plus whatever else might be helpful for growing tomatoes in containers! I LOVE tomatoes and successfully growing some of my own would be really gratifying. THANKS!

Comments (9)

• seysonn
    9 years ago

but is 5'' enough?

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
    No ! Not at all not nearly enough. You will need MINIMUM a container with 5 gallons capacity and about 12" in diameter. Just imaging the red buckets all over the place in Home Depot.

I would also hold on fertilizing and mix that with the potting mix that you are going to use to fill that 5 gallon ( or bigger) container.

Hang around for more suggestions.

• johns.coastal.patio
    9 years ago

Well, I agree with seysonn in spirit. The University of Ohio says that small, determinate tomatoes need a pot that is 12 inches deep (deep being more important to a tomato than width). Depending on the pot, that could be 3-5 gallons.

Of course, where the "spirit" comes in is that a bigger pot is always easier than a smaller one. You don't have to be as perfect with watering and feeding schedules, and the plant is more likely to just thrive.

(Also, these numbers are for full container production. You certainly can go a shade smaller to have a fun plant, and a few tomatoes.)

Update: If your balcony gets really hot, and no one is around to water during the day, that could drive you to even larger sizes. A hot day, when no one is looking, can really dry out a tomato plant in a container. There are "self watering" solutions to this too ... but that might be too much of a digression.

This post was edited by johns.coastal.patio on Tue, May 6, 14 at 12:01

• labradors_gw
    9 years ago

I agree with John that bigger is better when it comes to containers. That said, I have grown big plants in 3 gallon containers! I've also grown Red Robin's in 10" pots on my windowsills.

Regarding the osmocote, a tablespoon sounds like a lot to me, and here's why. I used to help out at a public garden, operated by a man who used to have his own nursery. On established plants in one-gallon pots we would add just a teaspoon of fertilizer to them. I hope you don't burn your seedlings.

Linda

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Were there any variety name tags on the plants? That would be a big help to know.

I agree with the others that a bigger container is needed, 5 gallons (approx. 12" pot) is the minimum size I ever recommended for the best success. So you will also need to buy a bag of container potting mix (not potting soil) for that container.

I'd also recommend picking up a small container of a balanced fertilizer that can be mixed with water. Solid dry fertilizers just don't last long in containers over the long haul since nutrients wash out every time you water and it is easy to use too much of them. One you can mix in water, dilute it to 1/2 strength, and feed the plant with it once every 7-10 days seem to give the best long term results.

As for the heat on the balcony - once transplanted ASAP then give it 3-4 days of shaded protection before putting it in the full sun.

Dave

PS: check out the Container gardening forum here too for more tips and how-tos.

• LinzyLu
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Looks like I have some work to do! :-) Thanks everyone!! You're all very helpful!

• booberry85
    9 years ago

If you are on a budget, you do not need to buy a fancy container for the plants. I buy the 5 gallon paint buckets from Lowes or Home Depot and drill holes in the bottom of the bucket for drainage. For ~$3.00 you get a decent (but not pretty) container instead of paying a small fortune just for the pot. If you or a friend are crafty, you can go through the effort of making them pretty.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Talking about container: Also consider using inexpensive re useable grocery shopping bags.

• fireduck
    9 years ago

with some of the "heavyweights" weighing in....your answers are all there. Do keep in mind that after a few days...the more sun the better. Do not use "moisture control" potting mix. Free-draining is what you want. Have fun...

• centexan254 zone 8 Temple, Tx
    9 years ago

If they are Bonnie Plants that say for containers then I am going to guess at a few types.

1 Husky Cherry Red
    2 Better Bush
    3 Bush Goliath
    4 Patio
    5 Container Choice

If it one of those then I would say you can easily use a planter that is 12 inches across, by 10 inches deep at a minimum. I say this due to the fact that they sell large bush plants in the container with the cage for $14.98 or so. I bought one a while back. It is doing fine, and not showing any signs of being root bound. I have been eating cherry tomatoes off of it for the past couple of weeks. It was badly pruned by a hail storm. I was temped to pull it, and start over. The thing is every time I am going to it has more fruit set on it.

For a planting medium as has been said above use a potting mix. Also several of the people I know have said to avoid Miracle Grow Moisture Control. All have nothing good to say about it. (More than 6 people.) I was using either Vigro, or Miracle Grow until I started making my own.

Note the plant is in the 3rd round container on the right. I will if you wish try to get a better picture of it tomorrow when I get home from work.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH