Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
piotr01_gw

Organic Kelp Sprays

piotr01
15 years ago

Can anyone recommend an organic kelp spray for my veggie garden and tomatoes? Also where to buy them online.

-Peter

Comments (19)

• carolyn137
    15 years ago

One of the best brands, I think, is Neptune's Harvest. Look for it locally or Google it and look for those who sell it.

Carolyn

• miesenbacher
    15 years ago

This site has some organic kelp products including Neptune's Harvest previously mentioned by Carolyn.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fifth Season Gardening

• piotr01
    Original Author
    15 years ago

For the Neptune would you recommend just the seaweed or the seaweed and fish? this would be for my veggie garden.....

Would 1 gallon last enough for a 150 square foot garden threw the summer?

• louster
    15 years ago

Hi, I also have a question.....how much of this do I need for about 30 tomato plants? Thanks!!

• carolyn137
    15 years ago

For the Neptune would you recommend just the seaweed or the seaweed and fish? this would be for my veggie garden.....
    Would 1 gallon last enough for a 150 square foot garden threw the summer?

Makes no difference as to seaweed or seaweed plus fish as I see it since both are low NPK but have lots of micronutruents which is why they're used.

The one gal must be a pre-made liquid prep and I never used that. I buy the concentrate and dilute it up to spray and I think those are something like 8 oz bottles which last a good long time and would do many many 150 sq fr gardens.

Carolyn

• carolyn137
    15 years ago

Hi, I also have a question.....how much of this do I need for about 30 tomato plants? Thanks!!

Please see my above answer about buying the concentrate and not the pre-made liquid mix.

Diluting up the concentrate I could do several hundreds of plants at one time and still have stuff left of the concentrate.

Carolyn

• jbann23
    15 years ago

Last year I used a quart of Neptune's Harvest fish/seaweed and was amazed at the quality. This year I purchased a gallon. The one gallon size is the same concentrate as the quart and not premixed. According to the manufacturer you use an ounce and a half to a gallon and a half (watering can)of water. It's not recommended that you attempt to store your diluted solution as it will go bad quickly. Anyway, one quart will do your 30 plants nicely and then some. Use it on everything that grows, it's really good stuff. Carolyn137 - you really got your money's worth if you treated several hundred plants with 8 oz.

• carolyn137
    15 years ago

Carolyn137 - you really got your money's worth if you treated several hundred plants with 8 oz.

I guess so. LOL

Maybe I had a larger bottle? Who knows.

And thanks for clarifying that the qt and gal size are still the concentrate.

And if it's of interest to anyone, the variety Neves Azorean Red was obtained from the former owner of the Neptune Harvest Co; his kids run it now as he's retired.

A local friend got seeds from a cousin who got them from him and gave them to me. Knowing the background, I thought I'd let folks know what goes into naming a variety so asked folks here at GW to help do that. And that's how I ended up with the name NAR. I then sent seeds of NAR to all 22 folks who posted in that thread.

And yes, I knew Neptune Harvest products way before the NAR connection. LOL

Another good seaweed product is Squanto's Secret. LOL

Carolyn

• louster
    15 years ago

Thanks, Carolyn and jban.......think I will go order. I've been looking for something like this locally, and haven't been able to find it.

• louster
    15 years ago

I did a search, and found a place that was cheaper than the previous link provided. Ordered a quart, and with shipping it came to just under $20.

Here is a link that might be useful: Growco Garden supply

• dangould
    15 years ago

Everyone here is getting ripped off big time. Burpee sells dry powder kelp for about $6.25 for an ounce of powder. this ounce is about 30 grams and makes 30 gallons or a gram of powder per gallon.

Starwest Botanicals sells a pound of powder for about $5.50 per pound. so it should make about 454 gallons of spray for less money. They have different items to choose from but to help you out you might look for item 201680-51. I always find their web site tricky to use but you can phone them.

Starwest Botanicals
    11253 Trade Center Drive
    Rancho Cordova , CA 95742

Good Luck

http://www.starwest-botanicals.com/search.php?mode=search&page=1

above gets the item.

Here is a link that might be useful: Starwest Botanicals

• dangould
    15 years ago

OK here is the web site.

http://www.starwest-botanicals.com/search.php?mode=search&page=1

Here is a link that might be useful: kelp

• carolyn137
    15 years ago

The reason I suggested Neptune's Harvest is b'c they cold press the seaweed which preserves a lot of the micronutrients.

I'm not so sure that a powdered form would be as rich just b'c of the processing and drying down to that powder form.

But of course I don't have any data to compare various brands and different forms, that is, liquid vs powder.

Carolyn

• dr.js
    15 years ago

A couple of other places to get kelp for less money
    www.gardensalive.com
    www.maxicrop.com

• jll0306
    15 years ago

It's so great that old threads come to the top again just as I need them!

I've never done any kind of foliar feed, but I think it's time to add it to the maintenance routine. I have a ton of kelp tablets from the health food store and I'm gonna have plenty of test plants....muahaha!

I KNOW that for years and years, gardeners have managed to garden without buying Brand Name Potions and Solutions, but it is so comforting to have a Ready-Made Palliative.

I'm trying to wean myself off of one of them now, but my seedling babies really seem to like Liquid Karma at transplant time. I wonder if diluted molasses wouldn't do just as well?

• azruss
    15 years ago

Jan,

I've read that foliar feeding with kelp is especially helpful for us desert growers. Mythology? Don't know, but I'm using a 1/2 strength mix of Neptune's Harvest to water my seedlings. Seedlings getting this do grow faster and stronger than those that don't. My winter "test" Azoychka gets kelp spray about 2x per month and seems to love it. Kelp spray will be standard in this year's garden.

Russ in Marana, AZ

• jll0306
    15 years ago

Russ,

My Azoychka seeds arrived yesterday! How long has yours been growing,and how big is it?

I used the Fish Emulsion on all my plants once a week last year and they liked it. I don't know if I'll use it again though, 'cause the smell attracts raccoons who dig around in the roots looking for dirtfish. It only took me year and a half to figure out that connection!

• azruss
    15 years ago

I started from seed what turned out to be my "test" Azoychka on Sept. 17. It's in a pot and is now about 4.5 ft. tall. These seeds were from TomatoFest. (The test is to see if I can mollycoddle it through a Tucson winter. So far, so good, but we have been blessed with an _extremely_ mild winter so far, with daytime highs in the 60's to low 70's and nighttime temps above 35. Last two years were much chillier.)

My Azoychka's for 2009 are small seedlings about 2" tall, about 2 weeks or so old. Seeds came from Victory Seeds.