Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wineman_gardener

oh noooooooo!

wineman_gardener
16 years ago

I posted a few weeks ago that I am new to gardening and I had planted some twenty five various types of Heirloom tomatoes in my new back yard.

My dream, being a chef, is to experiment and create as many different dishes and salads as I can once the fruits of my labours arrive.

The tomatoes take up about ninety percent of my vegetable garden. Yesterday I heard that one should not plant the same vegetable two years in a row in the same location. Does this mean I canÂt grow tomatoes in my garden next year or is there some treatment I can add to my soil to neutralize it. After all, one of the largest areas for growing, commercial styles of tomatoes is Leamington in South Western Ontario, and they produce thousands of kilos of tomatoes in the same soil year after year.

Any suggestions or comments will be appreciated. I will be happy to share the results of any dishes we make later in the season.

Cheers

Alan

Comments (8)

• instar8
    16 years ago

Rotating crops is beneficial because:

1. It helps discourages buildup of pests and diseases in any one area of the garden.
    2. It helps prevent depletion of the particular nutrients that any given crop uses the most.

There are other more esoteric reasons, such as using heavily cultivated or mulched crops to break up a weed cycle, and 'scheduling' rotation to take advantage of beneficial relationships between different types of veggies.

That said, there's no reason you CAN'T plant things in the exact same spot every year.

Even Eliot Coleman, the well-known organic guru who has made rotation as much an art as a science, deliberately keeps a tomato plot, which he even uses composted tomato vines on, to prove that good organic methods can overcome
    less-than-optimal conditions.

So if you're adding back organic matter and mineral supplements at least every other year, you should be fine.

• bigdaddyj
    16 years ago

Alan I am an organic grower and I use a lot of compost in my garden. I have grown tomatoes in the same place for 16 straight years now with no ill effects.

My mother has grown tomatoes in the same spot for over 30 years now and has had good success as well.

I look at it this way. If weeds can grow in the same spot year after year after year, tomatoes can too...:)

• trudi_d
    16 years ago

I grow tomatoes in the same beds year to year, but I do improve the soil before planting. I dig in grass clippings and fallen leaves. It seems to be a good thing.

• cziga
    16 years ago

You just need to do a bit of research. Figure out which nutrients tomato plants leech from the soil as they grow (the major ones anyways). I think they use lots of nitrogen but I'm not sure . . . anyways, look into that. Then, when you ammend the beds for the next year's planting, use lots of organic material and compost, and pay extra special attention to those nutrient to make sure you replenish them.

If you replenish the soil properly and completely each year, there is no reason why you can't grow them over and over in the same spot.

• delta_charlie
    16 years ago

Hi Alan and the group, one thing I like to do is not plant next years crop in the exact same spots as last years. Try to picture what the root zone of each tomato plant would look like under ground (a large 18 in or so pot would be close).

At the end of the season the root zone can be dug up and fresh compost and amendments added. Then next years tomatoes can be planted off to the side by 3 feet or so to allow the soil to recover. I use this trick to help keep root knot nematodes (RKN) at bay. Don't think you will have a problem with RKN but this trick may help keep your garden going forever.

Later, DC

• oregon_veg
    16 years ago

Alan,
    You're testing heirlooms, so I guess you plan on saving seeds for replant? I would be more concerned about cross-pollination with 25 varieties than whether or not to replant in the same place. Just a thought.
    Tom

• raisemybeds
    16 years ago

I grow in the same dedicated beds now every season. If you don't own a farm you can't be that picky about "rotation". Basically, you put the tomatoes where the good sun and soil are. I replenish my soil with plenty of organic matter and I never have a problem.

• trudi_d
    16 years ago

Tomatoes are self-pollinating.