Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
huge mistake?

Posted by coeng NE NJ (My Page) on
Mon, May 14, 12 at 8:22

This spring, I made an enormous investment money-wise and time-wise building a nice 16x16 fenced garden with raised beds, only to realize this past weekend that I may have placed it too close to the elm trees on my property.

On Saturday while doing yardwork I noticed that I didn't get full sun on the garden until high noon. It only received filtered morning sunlight through the tree branches.

Will my tomato crop be a complete failure? I'm fearing the worst here. I'm going to plant them this week.

The thing I forgot to account for was the weight of the leaves on the elm trees and how it causes the branches to spread out. It looks a lot different now than it did in early March.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: huge mistake?

You should be fine. Tomatoes need about six hours of sun, and between the filtered morning sun and all afternoon of full sun you will have plenty of light. Mine only get about five hours of sun at best and are quite healthy. I'm sure my production is lower than I would have in full sun, but I still average a good 10 to 20 beefsteaks per plant.

TomNJ

o

Yeah you should be ok. The worst that can happen is the plants stretching some - getting a bit more leggy than usual - so you'd need to compensate with your supports in some way. But if removing or even shortening a few tree branches here and there is possible it would be of help.

Dave

o

At some point you may want to have an arborist in to trim. They can thin out the branches to let in more light, but not harm the look or health of the trees. I had it done two years ago when I noticed my yard had gotten significantly more shaded by my trees. It made a big difference. I'll probably have it done every few years to keep up the level of sun in the yard as the trees grow.

o

• Posted by suprneko 9b/sunset 16 NorCal (My Page) on
    Mon, May 14, 12 at 12:58

Last year, my hubs planted the tomatoes along the back fence so they got zero sun in the morning. They still produced, not our best year but it was ok. I'm sure you'll get a decent amount of fruit, good luck! :)

o

Thanks for the votes of confidence...I feel MUCH better now!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here