Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wiley_gardener

Suckering and Staking

wiley_gardener
16 years ago

I have Celebrity, Better Boy, Beefstake, and Mountain Spring. I am debating on which ones to sucker/prune and stake versus cage. I have 44 plants, so a lot, and want some large fruit. I was planning on suckering and staking the celebrity, better boy and beefstake. Cage and not prune the Mountain Spring. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Comments (10)

• susaneden
    16 years ago

I have staked and not staked, pruned and not pruned. My fav way to grow toms is to put them in a big cage and just let them do what they want. I seem to have higher yields this way, but that's an anecdotal assessment :D

Might be a lot of work to cage all 44, though. Am curious to see what everyone else has to say.....

• vgkg Z-7 Va
    16 years ago

I'll cage determinates and cherry types but stake and sucker indeterminate varieties. Old habits die with ya ;o)

• jsvand5
    16 years ago

Isn't celebrity a determinant? I am no expert, but I would not sucker/prune the celebrity.

• darthtrader
    16 years ago

Cage the determinates and leave them to grow. Stake the determinate varieties and desucker them. You can even go as far as removing one tier of branches just below the blossom bunch. That, however, is a controversial choice to make. Read the Organic Tomato Magic thread if you want more info.

• k2marsh
    16 years ago

You might try staking a few of your tomatoes as I do mine. Tripod supports.

See my Flicker PhotoÂs of my staking.

Karyl

Here is a link that might be useful: Photo staking tripod style.

• candiecane
    16 years ago

I am using cages for the first time this year, last year
    I used stakes and tied them to that with fabric (like my
    grandma said and does). I am having troulbe with the lower
    limbs not staying contained in the cage. I have pulled
    some of them back through but I just wonder if I would be
    better off either tying them to the cage where I can't put
    them back in or should I take that part of the plant off?
    I am reluctant to snip the parts off that are exposed and
    not in the cage because some of them have fruit and I hate to loose them. I didnt have this problem last year because
    I could just tie back the parts that started to fall. I
    have just started my growing season and I am already having problems with very large plants. Am I doing
    something wrong? Please advise!

• cdgtxs
    16 years ago

I am using cages for the first time this year, last year
    I used stakes and tied them to that with fabric (like my
    grandma said and does). I am having troulbe with the lower
    limbs not staying contained in the cage. I have pulled
    some of them back through but I just wonder if I would be
    better off either tying them to the cage where I can't put
    them back in or should I take that part of the plant off?
    I am reluctant to snip the parts off that are exposed and
    not in the cage because some of them have fruit and I hate to loose them. I didnt have this problem last year because
    I could just tie back the parts that started to fall. I
    have just started my growing season and I am already having problems with very large plants. Am I doing
    something wrong? Please advise!

I think I would tie them to the cage or just let them sprawl(SP?)
    CDGTXS

• wiley_gardener
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks everyone, sounds like the best options are to cage determinates like celebrity and stake and prune the indeterminates. I guess I have not found the best cage system yet. Growing up, my parents staked all the tomatoes so not used to the cages.
    Thanks Again, W

• johnny_tomato_seed
    16 years ago

The best system. That is open to a lot of interpretation of money vs function. Many people will agree that the BEST, but expensive, cage system is called "Texas Tomato Cage". Just Google it to find the web site or do a search here to read all the "Controversial" treads.

I just got it last week. It comes in two 3ft pieces, so you don't even have to stack it up until they reach certain height. They are made out of heavy cage non-rusting steel and easily fold again. It's a bit expensive 6 for 130 including tax and shipping. One other minor criticism I can see is that they don't have enough vertical and horizontal wire. Meaning you can't train your maters to "Exact" place where you want it. But you can overcome that easily with garden tape, if you really must have the branches 2.5 inches apart or something. You don't need extra anything for support. It's so damn sturdy, you can use it to cage your siblings or a burglar until the cop arrives, not that I tried ;-). To answer another possible question, no, I do not work for them, know them, or have any financial investment with them.

• k2marsh
    16 years ago

I cut up grocery bags for my tomato ties. They work very well. Easy to use and tie.

Just wrap around the pole and cross around the tomato, and tie at the back of the stake. No sliping when you make the overhand knot.

See the photo instructions for making the ties.

Karyl

Here is a link that might be useful: Photo of ties for staked tomatoes