Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
tomatoes tops broken off

Posted by bluedragon2k9 6a (My Page) on
Mon, May 13, 13 at 9:50

ok last night they were calling for frost and so i went out and covered everything i took the plastic off today and some of my bigger tomatoe plants the tops are broken and hanging down on the plants what can i do to save them?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: tomatoes tops broken off

If they are broken off there is not much that you can do to save the tops, but the plants will live. The good news is that although you might be set back a little, your plants will recover, and you'll now have 2 tops where the one broke off. Last year we had a nasty hail storm and the tops of several of my plants were severed. Ouch! A month or two later you couldn't even tell where the damage was.

o

i think i might have over reacte the tops are not broken all the way off maybe like msushed i guessu can say has not broke the stem yet but has a lot of play if that helps to picture the situation

o

My brother broke one of my beefmaster plants completely off about an inch or two above the soil in the pot as we were moving them outside to harden off. Nothing left but a little stump. It has already started regrowing a new tip/stem.

o

Are your plants indeterminate varieties or determinates? Makes a big difference in what happens after primary growing tip is broken.

For future reference use a stake or something to support the cover, not the plant itself.

Dave

o

Indeterminate varieties

o

If they are just bent over they might live.....just prop them up a little and pray.

o

They will live. You could even root the tops.

o

Wow, I just came to this section of the forum to ask the same question - I had a beautiful 1 foot tomatillo plant that fell victim to my clumsiness and the entire plant but for 2 inches of the stem and a single leaf was snapped completely off. Good to know there's some hope.

o

I just did the same thing to my plant--I tried to train it, but bent the main stem too far and it came off in my hand, right at the joint. What's this about rooting the tops? How do I do that?

o

Because I've been very lucky, lazy, and cheap I have collected scads of five gallon buckets. They are very easy to take off and to put over plants, even those of some good size, and they are far sturdier than any other method I've seen for protecting plants from frosts. If the weather gets stormy, rocks or bricks will weigh them down well, and they stack well when not being used. Just a thought.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here