Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bingster

Bingster PICS--28 May

bingster
13 years ago

Morning All,

About two weeks away from my first BLT! Weather has been unseasonably warm in the panhandle of Florida these past two weeks. Very hot (90s) and humid which is usually June weather. Have gotten first disease ever on any of my container plants (on my Whoppers)...looks like blight. Had first signs of caterpiller damage a couple of weeks back so gave 'em a good dose of BT. They're gone!! Big Beef are doing excellent with heavy clusters and no disease. Whoppers and Celebrity are doing o.k.. Hope you are doing well also.

cheers

Bing

Comments (15)

• ubergoober
    13 years ago

Sweet! Looks great!

• eyesofthewolf
    13 years ago

Great healthy looking plants, your doing something right, so clean and orderly very nice. :o)Deanna

• star_stuff
    13 years ago

That's alot of fruit! Does Big Beef traditionally perform best for you? Also, do you plant a spring AND fall crop, because of the heat?
    Caroline

• Jeff B.
    13 years ago

I love that setup... Very nice!

• bingster
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi star stuff,

Big Beef always does very well for me...pretty fruit, very disease resistant and very good production. Next year I'll probably plant 90% Big Beef. I don't plant a fall crop...just the spring.

cheers

Bing

• noinwi
    13 years ago

Soooo jealous! I'm still trying to get mine potted up out of their 16oz cups!
    Awesome pics as always!

• timmy1
    13 years ago

Awesome heavy set Bing!

Those are my babies...Hehe

Great job suckering too, they will be so easy to pick, cluster 1,2,3...

Ive got some that look identical ;)

Cheers

• spaghetina
    13 years ago

I always love seeing your pics. Everything is so orderly and clean, and then you see these amazing, tall, lush tomato plants loaded with fruit. You can't see me, but I'm green with envy! My tallest plant is only around 3' right now, with the shortest not even at a foot. It'll be a long while before I'm getting any maters this year, and as ridiculous as it sounds, I started earlier this year than I was in 2009!

• miesenbacher
    13 years ago

Bingster, the tomato gods are smiling down on you my friend. Awesome fruitset and your going to be swimming in tomatoes this year. Pick up some Exel LG or Agri-fos, same stuff different names and it should help on your blight. Ami

• cyrus_gardner
    13 years ago

Bingster, very ipressive gaden and tomatoes.

I do have some but not as many and as big as yours.

Here is a sampler:

Cyrus

• bingster
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Happy Memorial Day Uber, Deanna, Timmy, Ami, Cyrus, Spaghetina, Jefferzzz and Noinwi! Thanks to all for your kind words.

Please take 30 seconds and say a little prayer for those Americans in harm's way. For those who protect our way of life and allow us to spend time doing the things we like each and every day...like growing tomatoes!

There's just something about nurturing something and watching it flourish...and then gives us something great to eat as an aside! Spending time with my plants, and pups, are my best times of the day.

Thanks Ami for the tip. This is the first time I've gotten a bad case of disease in my plants. Maybe bad transplants...I don't know. Almost seems like maybe it's wilt on my Whoppers as I had one wilt yesterday afternoon. Same symptoms as plants I used to plant in the ground. Wouldn't think I'd get wilt from containers and planting mix???

Timmy,

Those are your babies...as you say!! Your transplants, as you can see, are doing great. Absolutely no problems with them and great fruit set. Hope the weather cools a little so they can get a little bigger before starting to turn. I'm sure your set-up puts mine to shame. Some day I'm going to take a trip up North to see you and your operation...so be forewarned!!

Spaghetina,

Thanks...I like my set-up but may make sturdier PVC trellises next year. Too lazy to do it this year! Maybe you should consider a warmer climate although Florida does have drawbacks too as the summer harvesting season is very short here...June thru mid July at best. Just remember...good things come to those who wait!

Cyrus...keep the pics coming...would like to see your progress.

My Big Beef are doing great, They are always healthy and never show signs of any problems. Celebrities and Whoppers just so-so this year. Will rethink planting them next year. Definitely will not plant the Celebrities. Am thinking mostly Big Beef, Better Boy and Brandy Boy for next year and going back to growing seeds myself for the Big Beef and Brandy Boy.

Cheers to all. Hope your are having fun and tomatoes are doing great for you.

Bing

• tripod
    13 years ago

Yet another impressive year for the Bingster Tomato Farm! Congrats.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't you using 18g totes for your SWCs? Also, you have two plants per SWC and have a timer based watering system?

Have you ever had problems with blossom end rot?

Steven

• chefmark
    13 years ago

As always great pics Sir, I am on the big beef bandwagon this year, I cut back from 28 plants to 14 this year, hoping the big beef will come through with heavy production, the heirlooms taste great but production for me has always been a bit disappointing, my bing-inspired set up is humming along in it's third year now. Thanks again.

• timmy1
    13 years ago

No wonder my Big Beefs are always on backorder!

;)

• bingster
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Chefmark,

Long time, no talkee!! I really like the Big Beef. Very good production and no disease and I like the taste just fine. I think you'll like them!!

Hey Timmy,

They're coming along nicely. Nice robust plants, heavy clusters, no disease. Sounds like you need to expand!!

cheers and happy growing to you both

Bing